Upgrading to the Hopper 3 system - a few questions

spudmancbr954rr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Hi folks. Apologies in advance for asking several questions in one post, but they all pertain to my decision to finally leave the dark ages and upgrade to DISH’s latest equipment. I currently lease a VIP 722 and VIP 622 and own a 211K. I’d like to upgrade to the Hopper 3 setup…here are my questions:

• Will the HDMI output and the red/blue/green video output on the Hopper 3 work simultaneously? In other words, can I connect it to my TV via HDMI and to my DVD recorder (I know….probably not technically “legal”) via the R/B/G output without one automatically disabling the other?
  • Will my external hard drive content that was created on my 722 and 622 still be accessible when I connect the drives to the new Hopper?
  • Does the DISH OTA adapter work well for bringing in locals, or is there a third party adapter that will work better with the Hopper? I currently don’t pay for locals through my dish, as I have an excellent roof antenna and pick up a ton of digital OTA channels. As you know, the 722 and 622 have built in OTA tuners allowing me to connect my antenna to these receivers and record these channels on the DVR…which I’d like to do with the Hopper & an OTA adapter.
  • Will I be able to keep my 211K connected and functioning with my new Hopper system, or will I need to lease an additional Joey for that particular rec-room TV?

• Thanks much for any help you can provide!

Reactions: charlesrshell
HDMI and component (R/B/G) will both work at the same time.

Yes, unless the capacity of those drives is so small that they will work for ViP, but not be big enough to be recognized by the Hopper. There are different ranges for what size drives work with each model, but I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head.

Look for the Air TV dual tuner OTA adapter. This is identical to the newest OTA adapter that Dish offers, but is cheaper. Some members here have also reported that it works better than the Dish model, but your results may vary:

Yes, the 211k will still work.

Look for the Air TV dual tuner OTA adapter. This is identical to the newest OTA adapter that Dish offers, but is cheaper. Some members here have also reported that it works better than the Dish model, but your results may vary:

Yes, the 211k will still work.
Note that AirTV is a Dish owned company. I'd expect little, if any, difference in performance between the two versions beyond the color of the plastic.

Unless you’re viewing 4k video which will shut down everything except the HDMI
I'm not sure I fully understand. So this would be due to a specific content provider/network/station actually transmitting in 4K? I guess I'm just not that well informed on the whole 4K technology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts