Uplink Activity - 11-20-2008 12:50pm ET 19 changes

That's what I did. I'm watching KATV-DT (Little Rock) in crystal clear HD from 77W.

How's the picture/audio quality of this station? I had the sd Little Rock locals a few years back whent they were on conus beam and this one channel in sd sucked big time. The color was so faded out that it seemed like I was watching black and white at times.

C orpITGuy, apparently I missed your original post. What did you do to get the HD from 77W. Is there a way to add the 77W to my 1000 that's set up for 110/119/129? I obviously need all 4 satellites now thanks to Dish. My retailer had no knowledge this was going to happen so I'm very disapointed to say the least. Any help or ideas from anybody would be appreciated. Thanks.

There's a discussion about that going on over at DBSTalk.... one of the most prolific posters did an experiment ... disconnected 110 ENTIRELY and still got OTA EPG. I didn't confirm myself because I just got a Dish 500 pointed directly at 77w and kept my 1000.2 (110/119/129) in place. There is no way to get 77w on the 1000.2 by the way... too much of a spread and different azimuth.

Cwk3: I just called Dish and said, "hey, 2 of my locals are in HD according to your website but I can't get them because they are on 77w. I want to schedule someone out to install a 1000.4 Eastern Arc setup." They actually set up the install as a single additional Dish 500, which didn't hurt my feelings at all... I'd rather have more sats... the more the merrier, I say.

Last edited:
How's the picture/audio quality of this station? I had the sd Little Rock locals a few years back whent they were on conus beam and this one channel in sd sucked big time. The color was so faded out that it seemed like I was watching black and white at times.

It's no where near as bad as it used to be. They now have a direct feed from KATV-DT into Dish and DirecTV racks.

KATV is still inferior in PQ compared to KARK-DT, KLRT-DT and KTHV-DT, of course. It gets fuzzy for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so... kinda strange. But... it's better than it was... and it's about the same as OTA via antenna.

There's a discussion about that going on over at DBSTalk.... one of the most prolific posters did an experiment ... disconnected 110 ENTIRELY and still got OTA EPG. I didn't confirm myself because I just got a Dish 500 pointed directly at 77w and kept my 1000.2 (110/119/129) in place. There is no way to get 77w on the 1000.2 by the way... too much of a spread and different azimuth.

Cwk3: I just called Dish and said, "hey, 2 of my locals are in HD according to your website but I can't get them because they are on 77w. I want to schedule someone out to install a 1000.4 Eastern Arc setup." They actually set up the install as a single additional Dish 500, which didn't hurt my feelings at all... I'd rather have more sats... the more the merrier, I say.

I disagree... If I disconnected 110 from my setup, I can bet I would not have 9 day EPG for my OTA subchannels. Not sure about the main OTA channels themselves. Might have to do the foil experiment tonight before the recording madness starts at 7pm tonight.

From the November 12 Uplink:
14943 - KEYE2 [EPG] added to EchoStar7 119W TP 07 Texas beam (NA)(Austin, TX)

So they added that OTA EPG to 119.

I think at one point they also moved the 9-day EEPG to 119...

Digi have you heard any update on when dish will carry the New Orleans HD locals?

I haven't heard them mentioned at all. But in that area there are other options of Jackson, MS(61.5 - 3 networks), Mobile, AL(61.5- 3 networks), or Birmingham, AL (119 - 4 networks).

It's no where near as bad as it used to be. They now have a direct feed from KATV-DT into Dish and DirecTV racks.

KATV is still inferior in PQ compared to KARK-DT, KLRT-DT and KTHV-DT, of course. It gets fuzzy for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so... kinda strange. But... it's better than it was... and it's about the same as OTA via antenna.

Then the problem lies with the station if the ota looks the same as the sat hd station. I never understood why this channel looks so washed out. Must be the preference of the station engineer himself to mute the color so much. A shame to have a channel in hd and the color still looks like black and white. :confused:

From the November 12 Uplink:

Quote:
14943 - KEYE2 [EPG] added to EchoStar7 119W TP 07 Texas beam (NA)(Austin, TX)

So they added that OTA EPG to 119.

I think at one point they also moved the 9-day EEPG to 119...

Yes, they put that channel there, but apparently that is only a matter of convenience. They needed some place to put it and putting it where the rest of the channels from that market are reduces the confusion. It could be anywhere in the system and still work. The entries in the SDT and NIT are the important part.

The actual program info is in the EEPG and yes they did move it to 119 a while back. There is one on 72.7 as well. One does need to receive either 119 or 72.7 to get the program info. There are entries for the channels in the EPG, but there is no program info for those channels there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)