Uplink Activity 5/12/08 11:55 PM EDT 10 VOOMs gone.

JohnH

Godfather of the Uplink Reports
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Kansas City, Missouri
UPLINK ACTIVITY: SAMPLE TAKEN 05-12-2008 23:57:00 TO 05-12-2008 23:58:04 ET

4 ADD(S)

ADD 9472 HD MPEG4 SD Tp 10 EchoStar 3 61.5w AT100? PREV

ADD 9472 HD MPEG4 SD Tp 17 EchoStar 5 129w AT100? PREV

ADD 9486 HD MPEG4 SD Tp 10 EchoStar 3 61.5w AT100? PREV

ADD 9486 HD MPEG4 SD Tp 17 EchoStar 5 129w AT100? PREV

20 DELETE(S)

DEL 9472 GLLRY MPEG4 HD Tp 24 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL

DEL 9472 GLLRY MPEG4 HD Tp 22 EchoStar 5 129w AVAIL

DEL 9473 TRESR MPEG4 HD Tp 20 EchoStar 3 61.5w AVAIL

DEL 9473 TRESR MPEG4 HD Tp 23 EchoStar 5 129w AVAIL

DEL 9474 ANIMA MPEG4 HD Tp 20 EchoStar 3 61.5w AVAIL

DEL 9474 ANIMA MPEG4 HD Tp 23 EchoStar 5 129w AVAIL

DEL 9475 VMOV MPEG4 HD Tp 24 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL

DEL 9475 VMOV MPEG4 HD Tp 22 EchoStar 5 129w AVAIL

DEL 9477 WSPOR MPEG4 HD Tp 19 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL

DEL 9477 WSPOR MPEG4 HD Tp 19 EchoStar 5 129w AVAIL

DEL 9478 ULTRA MPEG4 HD Tp 24 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL

DEL 9478 ULTRA MPEG4 HD Tp 22 EchoStar 5 129w AVAIL

DEL 9480 FILMF MPEG4 HD Tp 20 EchoStar 3 61.5w AVAIL

DEL 9480 FILMF MPEG4 HD Tp 23 EchoStar 5 129w AVAIL

DEL 9482 HDNWS MPEG4 HD Tp 24 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL

DEL 9482 HDNWS MPEG4 HD Tp 22 EchoStar 5 129w AVAIL

DEL 9485 GAMEP MPEG4 HD Tp 24 Rainbow 1 61.5w AVAIL

DEL 9485 GAMEP MPEG4 HD Tp 22 EchoStar 5 129w AVAIL

DEL 9486 FAMLY MPEG4 HD Tp 20 EchoStar 3 61.5w AVAIL

DEL 9486 FAMLY MPEG4 HD Tp 23 EchoStar 5 129w AVAIL

24 CHANGE(S) 5064 CHANNELS IN THE SYSTEM

I would be forced to boycott Team Summit and I will not be sending any subscription money to DiSH Network for a bit longer than planned. :(

How many thousands of people paid for subscriptions which included these channels?

Dish claims to have removed "less popular" channels to make way for more

Dish: "Hello, subs... Here you go, have 22 new HD channels..."
Subs: ::Jaws drop in amazement becoming distracted::
Dish: ::pickpockets the subs and steals 10::

I liked the voom channels... They were the only thing keeping me on the HD Ultimate package.

All that good will and good press from yesterday just went back out the window. LOL

(Not a big fan of those channels, but I do know a lot of others were. Sorry, guys.)

I believe this was always the plan. Hasn't anyone wondered where Dish was getting the space for 22 nat hd. We even had some speculation to that effect somewhere here. http://www.satelliteguys.us/1347828-post103.html

Edit: BTW, I think it stinks the way Dish did this but then again it's Dish.

Not really a valid point since they had the new HD up already without having removed the VOOM channels. They've essentially made room for about 10 more national HD channels.

QVC-HD and 9 more HD PPV's are just around the corner...

I guess we can argue forever about which Voom channels we wanted the most or were the most watched but i will certainly miss Treasure and Gallery and I have never watched KungFu... seems like both Treasure and Gallery could have been logically merged into one channel, and Monster and Kungfu could have been merged as well.

That really cuts down the value of the HD Ultimate pack. I would hope that DISH would either find something else to fill in the Ultimate tier or would drop the price. I doubt either will happen though.

Well, that sucks! Gain 19 semi-HD channels with commercials, and drop 10 full time HD channels without commercials. Granted, the only ones from that group that I'll personally miss are Gallery and FilmFest, but it still sucks.

Dish no longer has a compelling selling point. FiOS is now a viable candidate for subscription in my neighborhood. Dish just shot themselves in the foot trying to keep up with the stretch-o-vision leader.

Boo Dish, Boo.

Well, last night my wife and I browsed the entire HD lineup. Glad I didn't miss the one night it looked so great. ;)

I have to say that all of this outrage over the Voom channels surprises me. I know that it is a net reduction(For now) in the total number of national HD channels, but how many people actually watched those channels? Apparently, not many! I personally think this is a smart move by Dish......save a few of the best Voom channels and dump the rest for more mainstream HD channels. I think they need to revamp the HD packages and prices to reflect this change(Maybe lower the price on the "Ultimate" package to $14.99)but they now have the option to add several "Premium" moving channels in HD to make the movie packages a better value to subscribers.....and potential subscribers. Also, we don't know what channels will now be added because of this change(Mojo, etc.)so let's be patient for a while.

seems like both Treasure and Gallery could have been logically merged into one channel, and Monster and Kungfu could have been merged as well.

While true, I doubt, given the injunction that Rainbow tried to get against Dish, that Rainbow was of a mood to rearrange/reformat their channels to E*'s liking.

Now, I wonder if Rainbow will get pi$$ed off enough by this move to cut the signal on the channels that E* chose to keep as retaliation?!? Hmmm.

I guess we can argue forever about which Voom channels we wanted the most or were the most watched but i will certainly miss Treasure and Gallery and I have never watched KungFu... seems like both Treasure and Gallery could have been logically merged into one channel, and Monster and Kungfu could have been merged as well.

It's not like Dish can just have VOOM merge these channels. Cablevision also broadcast these VOOM channels. I'm sure there would be some contractual issues in order for DISH to do this on their end.

I don't understand. so many people here were complaining about the voom channels and how they should get rid of these for other more popular channels. that voom barely had any new content. don't get where all this complaining is coming from now. this definitely means that more new hd channels coming to us.