Uplink activity for 4/22/08

Almost time to order the 61.5 dish! CW, PBS, and MNTV HD locals along with the big 4 in Memphis, Christmas comes early.:clap

I wonder why they only put up two of the Scranton locals in MPEG4 SD? I wouldn't think it would do them much good testing without a full load.

Those Scranton locals aren't being "tested". They are the "minor" local channels. The big 4 network channels will be uplinked eventually in HD on a different transponder.

Dish Network MUST offer all the local channels receivable by one satellite dish antenna eventually whether they originalte as analog or digital signals. So they are cramming all the minor locals in MPEG4 on the spot beams. For some reason Scranton got the minor locals before the HD locals were uplinked.

See ya
Tony

Only the big 4 in HD. Others are SD.

UPLINK ACTIVITY: SAMPLE TAKEN 04-22-2008 17:51:07 TO 04-22-2008 17:52:11 ET

ADD 5170 WPTY{MEMPHIS, TN} MPEG4 HD Tp 5 Spot 19 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 24

ADD 5171 WREG{MEMPHIS, TN} MPEG4 HD Tp 5 Spot 19 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 3

ADD 5172 WMC{MEMPHIS, TN} MPEG4 HD Tp 5 Spot 19 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 5

ADD 5173 WHBQ{MEMPHIS, TN} MPEG4 HD Tp 5 Spot 19 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 13

ADD 5174 WLMT{MEMPHIS, TN} MPEG4 HD Tp 5 Spot 19 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE HD MAP 30

ADD 7171 WKNO{MEMPHIS, TN} MPEG4 SD Tp 5 Spot 19 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP 10

ADD 7173 WPXX{MEMPHIS, TN} MPEG4 SD Tp 5 Spot 19 Rainbow 1 61.5w UNAVAIL HIDE MAP 50

Okay, so I miss-read 2 of them, but the CW is in HD (WLMT). Here's a question for you..... The PBS station, WKNO, shows different SD and HD feeds. I don't think I've ever seen the same program on -TV and -DT. Is this a nationwide thing, or is Memphis the exception/test/oddball? I don't know if it would be related, but the Mid-South Public Communications Foundation (License holder for WKNO) has applied to the FCC to operate a second digital channel on channel 10 after the transition date. (WKNO-DT uses channel 29) Would Dish be required to carry the new channel upon start-up, or would this be another "soon" timeframe?

I missed the WLMT being a fifth one. Is it owned by one of the big 4 affiliates?

PBS HD is usually different than the typical local SD offerings. I suspect one of the subchannels is still required to simulcast the analog. May not be in HD.

So how big is the footprint for spot 15 that will show Norfolk HD? I have a dish 500 pointed at it, in Southern NC.

They show spot 15 in the middle of the country, not pointing near Norfolk. I receive the SD locals for Norfolk via 110 spot received here in Wilmington NC area. Perhaps they re numbered the spots lately?

How in the world is 61.5 using spots for Buffalo? The 61.5 chart from cablevision shows Buffalo is nowhere near a spot. Perhaps the spots were adjusted? I thought they would need FCC approval.

See map: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/e12spots.pdf

I was wondering the same thing - there has been discussion for some time that Buffalo wasn't covered by any spot on the map. BTW, I believe that E* did renumber the spots, for whatever reason. I don't think they're re-aimable, however, unless they shift the footprint of the entire bird. :eek:

Brad

How in the world is 61.5 using spots for Buffalo? The 61.5 chart from cablevision shows Buffalo is nowhere near a spot. Perhaps the spots were adjusted? I thought they would need FCC approval.

See map: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/e12spots.pdf
Suppose that map only indicates the center of a spot. The spot may be somewhat larger than indicated. They all seem to be shown as the same size, which is not likely either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)