Uplink activity for 4/22/08

Those Scranton locals aren't being "tested". They are the "minor" local channels. The big 4 network channels will be uplinked eventually in HD on a different transponder.

Dish Network MUST offer all the local channels receivable by one satellite dish antenna eventually whether they originalte as analog or digital signals. So they are cramming all the minor locals in MPEG4 on the spot beams. For some reason Scranton got the minor locals before the HD locals were uplinked.

So you don't think Dish is going to offer PBS and CW in HD anytime soon? I thought they were doing that for some markets, and so is D*.

So you don't think Dish is going to offer PBS and CW in HD anytime soon? I thought they were doing that for some markets, and so is D*.
No. Not any time soon. There are a few CWs in HD uplinked, but I would not expect much more than that. No PBS is currently uplinked in HD and I don't expect it any time soon.

See ya
Tony

No. Not any time soon. There are a few CWs in HD uplinked, but I would not expect much more than that. No PBS is currently uplinked in HD and I don't expect it any time soon.
Actually, PBS-HD is uplinked to Alaska and Hawaii because of legal requirements.

E* would like to provide a national feed of PBS-HD, but PBS is not agreeable to that, probably because people would watch that instead of their local PBS-SD and then not catch the pledge breaks.

So, PBS-HD is likely to only be seen on E* as required by the recent FCC ruling that requires a certain percentage of markets provided with all HD local channels in 2010, 2011, 2012 and then 100% in 2013. (see thread in Dish Network Forum for exact percentages - which doesn't tell you which market will be when - that won't be known in advance.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts