Uplink Activity for the week of May 01 2006

If they can get everything into MPEG-4 (going from market to market based upon the HD LIL launch) then that would free up space with the SD locals. What they could do is shut off one market at a time and to prevent as many people to becoming affected they could start with the smaller ones in which would free up more space on the satellite. It would not take them as long to switch the smaller markets out and more free space would be acquired and fewer receivers to swap out. This would give the hardware more time to drop in price by the time it made it to the larger markets.

Stargazer said:
If they can get everything into MPEG-4 (going from market to market based upon the HD LIL launch) then that would free up space with the SD locals. What they could do is shut off one market at a time and to prevent as many people to becoming affected they could start with the smaller ones in which would free up more space on the satellite. It would not take them as long to switch the smaller markets out and more free space would be acquired and fewer receivers to swap out. This would give the hardware more time to drop in price by the time it made it to the larger markets.

Right, but the issue with that is that they would need to give new receivers free of charge, as well as no contracts etc, as if they did that here, I would holdout, just for that fact that many people wouldnt want a contract to get the same stuff that they have now.

Then multiply that by 12 million people, and Dish would got themselves quite a problem!

(Tho it is a good idea,especially starting with the one local towns in the middle of nebraska etc.., I cant see dish GIVING away equipment :/)

I have already had everybody I talked to about a future mandatory upgrade to MPEG-4 HD receivers tell me that they were not going to switch to the new receiver period they wanted to keep what they had or they would just drop Dish Network if they were forced into paying anything or had to go into a contract. Those that lease would tell Dish Network that since they are leasing the hardware that it should not cost them anything. Trust me that is what will go down. Charge money or require contracts, lose your customers. It is as simple as that. Dish Network knows that. So does DirecTv. People are already switching from Dish to Direct from in droves lately around here it seems.

Dish better see themselves in giving away a LOT!!! of equipment. They are out of business if they dont. I am sure DirecTv would love to have their customers and would give them free HD hardware.