Uplink Activity Report - 11/6/2008 3:39pm - 47 changes

As I posted it earlier in the main forum, no new HD today. I got word earlier from someone close to the top.

Wish I had more to tell folks. :(

Not your fault Scott. Thanks for keeping us posted.

I just wonder who is at the top or close to the top. DISH seems to be a headless monster at this time. They don't have a clear direction to go. Heck when they launched Lincoln NE and Omaha NE locals they put them on a spot that doesn't cover a pretty good area of each DMA. Doesn't make sense.

Is it offical will Dish have good earning report for the third quarter come 11/10/08??????

That or they don't care about their stock price near term. I think they will just blame the economy, and make getting the economy back on track the plan to right the ship, which is great for Charlie, because he doesn't have to do anything.

In his report, Moffett said there were also some reasons for optimism about Dish Network’s third-quarter results. For example, he said that Dish Network has been aggressively marketing; that its HD product is much stronger; that it’s gained customers through its reselling deal with AT&T, which comes to an end Jan. 31; and because it’s tightened its credit policies.

That part right there is enough to make me doubt his analysis. The added some premiums last quarter. That's mostly it.

Does anyone at dish have a clue?:eek:

You guys seem to think that Dish can add every channel in the world instantly. :rolleyes:

And that if they don't add channels, it is because they want to make their customers suffer. :rolleyes:

The likely reasons are:

- They need a few more days to get EchoStar 8 up to full speed, and/or

- One of the channel suppliers still hasn't finished their feed to Dish Network, and/or

- NBA League Pass negotiations (which might affect how many HD channels can be added during the NBA season), and/or

- Negotiations still might not be totally finished over one or more channels that they hoped to be adding.

You guys seem to think that Dish can add every channel in the world instantly. :rolleyes:

And that if they don't add channels, it is because they want to make their customers suffer. :rolleyes:

The likely reasons are:

- One of the channel suppliers still hasn't finished their feed to Dish Network, and/or

- NBA League Pass negotiations (which might affect how many HD channels can be added during the NBA season), and/or

- Negotiations still might not be totally finished over one or more channels that they hoped to be adding.

Thanks Charlie.

That part right there is enough to make me doubt his analysis. The added some premiums last quarter. That's mostly it.

In terms of HD content that I watch,

- 40% is Local (ABC/NBC/FOX), i.e. not National.

- 40% is Premiums (mostly HBO that has a great selection of HD movies)

- 20% is ESPN, ESPN2, TNT and HDNet, i.e. the oldest HD channels

The likely reasons are:

Maybe a few do but most of us are smart enough to realize that Dish doesn't do or not do just to make customers suffer. Neither do they do or not do just to make customers happy. They do or not do to make Charlie & the shareholders happy - period.

Now if within those parameters they could just loose the BS and gain some honest rapport with customers, it might alleviate some customer frustration and even give Dish some credibility.

As it is now (and has been for quite a while), it's hard to trust anything they say. Seems we're always going back to verify exactly what was said at some chat or tradeshow and finding Charlie parsed his words such as to give a good impression but didn't make any real commitment. When you do this often enough, you get the exact same customer attitude as we're seeing.........again.

And of course they manipulate what they feed Scott too which doesn't help.

Now if within those parameters they could just loose the BS and gain some honest rapport with customers, it might alleviate some customer frustration and even give Dish some credibility.

There is no customer frustration.

There is frustration amongst a dozen or so guys who constantly press the F5 button on this Forum on Wednesday afternoon.

When you bought your HDTV, there were still millions of Dish customers who had not even heard of HDTV.

My in-laws recently bought an HDTV (they had not heard of HD when I bought mine), and when I next visit there, I am pretty sure that they will have been watching stretched SD channels all this time, thinking they are HD. ;)

Someone in the regular Dish Network Forum here mentioned another factor, that Dish and DirecTV and cable companies are in negotiations with Fox and CBS over renewal of rights to local channels. Those are the same two companies that own most of the HD channels not currently on Dish Network.

Dish actually provides far more "honest rapport" with customers than most companies. Where is the "Charlie Chat" on DirecTV? On Comcast ? on Sony ? Microsoft ?

During the last chat, they were asked about the Viacom HD channels, and the reply was "we are in negotiations and hope to add them by the end of the year".

"More rapport" would have to be technical details, which would not mean much to customers and would be frowned upon by the negotiators, i.e. "we offered them 15 cents per channel for 2 years, and they countered with 19 cents per channel for 3 years, and ... "

Channels are only not available when there is a technical problem or a contract problem. 12 million customers don't want day-to-day updates.

In terms of HD content that I watch,

- 40% is Local (ABC/NBC/FOX), i.e. not National.

- 40% is Premiums (mostly HBO that has a great selection of HD movies)

- 20% is ESPN, ESPN2, TNT and HDNet, i.e. the oldest HD channels

I watch 0% premiums. and 0% Lifetime and 0% Planet Green. I suspect many others fit into that category. So for a lot of us, Dish didn't make an impressive move on the HD front last quarter.

I probably watch 30% local, 70% national. That's why I want more national HD. Plus, as an Absolute sub, and new HD channel is a new channel period.