Uplink Activity Report - 12/3/2008 12:42pm - 202 changes

We're 76 days away from the turn off date for analog OTA broadcasts -just under 11 weeks. With that milestone approaching it would seem like more national cable networks yet to launch HD channels would have done so already. It will be especially strange if major cable networks like Comedy Central are still SD only after February 17.

I'm hoping any rumors about Comedy Central HD launching soon are true and doubly hope Dish Network picks up the channel as soon as it is available.

SD/HD and the Analog/digitial conversion have absolutely nothing to do with each other, so it doesnt matter if they have HD versions up or not by the time the conversion happens

We're 76 days away from the turn off date for analog OTA broadcasts -just under 11 weeks. With that milestone approaching it would seem like more national cable networks yet to launch HD channels would have done so already. It will be especially strange if major cable networks like Comedy Central are still SD only after February 17.

I'm hoping any rumors about Comedy Central HD launching soon are true and doubly hope Dish Network picks up the channel as soon as it is available.

Most cable nets will still be sd.
For some reason people are still confusing dt with hd. Converting to digital ota in february does not mean converting to hd.
Tons of people keep saying "in feb when everything is hd":)

SD/HD and the Analog/digitial conversion have absolutely nothing to do with each other, so it doesnt matter if they have HD versions up or not by the time the conversion happens
Look at the issue in marketing terms rather than the mere nuts and bolts technological angle.

Any network still broadcasting only in SD at this point isn't going to look very good from the stand point of professionalism. They're either cheap or just don't have their act together. The Weather Channel is available in HD. How does that make other channels with "entertainment" on them look if they're still only in SD?

I try to watch certain TV or cable broadcasts in SD at times -when there is no HD alternative. Unfortunately, I don't have much tolerance for it. I admit I am now very spoiled by high definition quality. If the show isn't in HD chances are I am not going to watch it. As "shallow" as that may seem, there's a strong chance a lot of other people feel the same way.

Once that change to all digital broadcasts takes place it's going to put far more public attention on the differences between SD and HD. The ones that want to stick with SD only for quite some time to come will have to make due with fewer and fewer viewers.

Channel 398 VS/Golf shows off air beginning at 6:00am on December 11th.

Right about that time channels 5375 and 5376 will be mirrored somewhere in the 9000 block and mapped to the appropriate channels. :)

The Golf/Versus combined HD channel will cease to exist and individual HD channels will take its place.

See ya
Tony

Right about that time channels 5375 and 5376 will be mirrored somewhere in the 9000 block and mapped to the appropriate channels. :)

The Golf/Versus combined HD channel will cease to exist and individual HD channels will take its place.

See ya
Tony

That'll probably be the total for new HD, but I hope not.:hungry:

I recorded 17 min of HDNet Movies and used 681 MB or 2404 MB/hr, which implies MPEG-4.
The switch took a few seconds of viewing away and was at about 2:22 MST on the same transponder.
Now check out HDNet HBO SHO but will leave ESPN to others.
-Ken

More small samples: HDNet 5114 MB/hr (MPEG-2?), SHO 2784, HBO 3158, TNT 3078.
HBO and TNT are high for MPEG-4 but possible with 15-min samples near 3 AM MST.
-Ken

Should we be worried about the tables blowing up the 211s? Does this mean they hit a hard limit on how many channels that can be uplinked to the 211?

Should we be worried about the tables blowing up the 211s? Does this mean they hit a hard limit on how many channels that can be uplinked to the 211?
More than likely it just requires a software change. I had to do a change in my Uplink routine. Only had allocated space for 400 Tps. and the latest pushed it over 400. :)

More than likely it just requires a software change. I had to do a change in my Uplink routine. Only had allocated space for 400 Tps. and the latest pushed it over 400. :)

Ahh, a logical reason to put up all those Ciel-2 TPs and yank them. See if our relievers blow up at seeing all those possibilities. Which the 211 did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)