Uplink Activity Report - 7/17/2008 12:55pm - 128 changes

Lets check it - could be just same stream with multi headers.

EDIT. Nope - all of them in H.264 and alone. Total mux: 41.2 Mbps.

When E-11 goes operational with its very high power, if Dish drops the FEC from 2/3 to 5/6 or 6/7 how much bandwidth (per TP) do they gain? This of course would be on a 8PSK TP. How much bandwith is gained in going from 5/6 to 6/7 or 7/8 on a QPSK TP (for SD)?

When E-11 goes operational with its very high power, if Dish drops the FEC from 2/3 to 5/6 or 6/7 how much bandwidth (per TP) do they gain? This of course would be on a 8PSK TP. How much bandwith is gained in going from 5/6 to 6/7 or 7/8 on a QPSK TP (for SD)?

I can't remember the calculation someone did on the lower 8PSK FEC, but Bell ExpressVU runs a few TP's on 91W at QPSK FEC 7/8 and TSReader reports 32.2 megabits versus 30.7 on the 5/6.

DodgerKing;

Didn't see HDNet Movies on your list.

Walt
Thanks...I will fix that.

BTW, if you want to see a comparison and discuss the difference between the total full time national HD channels, then go to the link below. I do not want to be responsible for turning this thread into a Direct vs. Dish war.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...channel-package-comparison-2.html#post1449249

If there is anything else you notice that I forgot, please let me know so I can add it.

Last edited:
With these additions, Dish will have the following FULL TIME NATIONAL HD stations. Did I leave anything out?

1. A&E
  2. ABC FAM
  3. ANIMAL PLANET
  4. BRAVO
  5. BIOGRAPHY
  6. DISCOVERY
  7. DISNEY
  8. FOOD
  9. HDNet
  10. HDTheater
  11. HDNet Movies
  12. HGTV
  13. HISTORY
  14. HMC
  15. MGM
  16. NAT GEO
  17. SCIENCE
  18. TBS
  19. TLC
  20. TNT
  21. TRAVEL
  22. UNIVERSAL
  23. TOON DIS
  24. TOON
  25. SCIFI
  26. SMITHONIAN
  27. USA
  28. WGN
  29. CNN
  30. CNBC
  31. WEATHER
  32. CINEMAX
  33. CINEMAX WEST
  34. 5 STAR
  35. HBO
  36. SHOWTIME
  37. STARZ
  38. BIG10
  39. ESPN
  40. ESN
  41. ESPN II
  42. GOLF/VERSUS
  43. NBA
  44. NFL
  45. NHL
  46. TENNIS
  47. WFN
  48. ACTIONMAX
  49. CBS SPORTS
  50. LIFETIME
  51. LIFETIME MOVIES
  52. PLANET GREEN
  53. ENCORE
  54. HBO 2
  55. HBO COMEDY
  56. HBO FAMILY
  57. HBO LATINO
  58. HBO SIG
  59. HBO WEST
  60. HBO ZONE
  61. STARZ COMEDY
  62. STARZ EDGE
  63. STARZ KIDS
  64. STARZ WEST

Wow.

I hope we can get those up here some day!

My only lithmus test I have is when I swapped in April from D*. Immediately noticed a less sharp picture. When do they bump to 7??

Whats funny, I have posts from a couple of mo's ago asking people about D* vs Dish and PQ, most said it looked the same. NOW, everyone is bitching about Dish PQ, I dont get it. I mean it looks good, just not as good.

They have been doing 7 since last November. I think.

To me Dish and Direct pq looks good. Not that much difference to me.

The local hd which I get from both, Dish wins hands down in the pq dept.

Whoa that was a mean snipe... You know how the Big C operates.

I guess I was a bit overzealous with my gloating. I don't know how he operates, I just figured he was going to have to figure out a way of capturing high dollar subs to boost his ARPU numbers. He was getting a lot of heat in the financial press because he was getting plenty of customers who spend lesser amounts on satellite and not getting those high dollar subs the way DTV does with their Sunday Ticket, NASCAR, and more vast HD offerings (at the time).

Lets check it - could be just same stream with multi headers.

EDIT. Nope - all of them in H.264 and alone. Total mux: 41.2 Mbps.

Smith, P, thanks for the chart. KStuart pointed out that's 5.89 per channel, used with Stat Mux, which helps.

My understanding from reading various articles about bit rates is that the only way that would be adequate is if about 3 of the channels are talking heads, even with Mpeg 4. Hopefully, with more capacity Dish will be able to go back to 5 or so channels per 41.2 Mbps. I watch a lot of action movies and sports, and have noted an increasing level of tearing (what appears to be two frames joined with jagged lines in between) and mini-blocking (which occurs when a small portion of the screen, perhaps 4 by 6 inches, 3 by 8 inches, etc. loses the picture). For whatever reason, I noticed quite a bit of picture breakup on TNT today while watching the British Open. But it was raining heavily for quite a while on the golf course...the breakups probably had nothing to do with Dish.

But maybe the 41.2 Mbps isn't capacity, just what was being used?

Regards, and thanks again for the info. Fitzie

For whatever reason, I noticed quite a bit of picture breakup on TNT today while watching the British Open. But it was raining heavily for quite a while on the golf course...the breakups probably had nothing to do with Dish.

TNT, ESPN, HD-Net, HDNET-Movies, HBO, Showtime, HD-Theater are all MPEG2-HD until August 1st, when they will be converted to MPEG4-HD.

Those seven channels exhibit more PQ problems than the other HD channels as a result.

Customers with dogs are often inconsiderate. If your dog is big, we don't care that it's friendly, put him in another room. If your dog is small, we don't care that he's curious or excited to see us, we're here to work, not play with your pet. "Oh, he'll just lick me?" How about "I don't want to be licked!" Put him up.

Just a bit off topic... but seeing your signature I just have to say that I leave my dog loose, however I scare the bejesus out of him so he doesn't get within 15 ft of anyone coming in my home unless I say it okay.

right now E has the best premium package anywhere with these additions. awesome! :up i especially like the starz and encore additions.