Uplink Activity Report - 7/23/2008 4:02pm - 29 changes

Is that easy to do? I knew a guy that moved his address to his parents house in New Hampshire so that he could get the blacked out Jags games about 8 years ago. I unfortunately don't know anyone in Orlando or Tampa, that I could do that with...I'm guessing it would have to be somewhere close because I'd need to be within the range of the spot beam, right?

you need to be in the spotbeam but they usually go 200 miles

who said you needed a friend in Tampa? Pick a gas station or Pizza Hut and add "apt 1 or 2" after it...voila..."moved"

hell I used my old apartment complex to get a neighboring DMA's locals...apts went to 23 and I had 24 :)

You'll need to check your signal strength on the odd transponders on 61.5 from 1-15 to determine what you can get which ones come up as Spotbeams on the signal page.

you need to be in the spotbeam but they usually go 200 miles

who said you needed a friend in Tampa? Pick a gas station or Pizza Hut and add "apt 1 or 2" after it...voila..."moved"

hell I used my old apartment complex to get a neighboring DMA's locals...apts went to 23 and I had 24 :)
I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade my equipment before I do this...otherwise they'll be shipping my new 722 to Disney World.:)

Easy for you to say, you probably get your HD Locals from Dish...UNLIKE US IN JACKSONVILLE, FL!!!!!!!!!!

Be happy you are on the bubble, I am out in the middle of nowhere compared to you. I am in the la Crosse, WI DMA it will probley be about 10 years before we get HD, and by then there will be super ultra HD and everyone else will be complaining because they didnt get there super ultra HD and I will still be waiting for just HD locals. Luckly I can get 4 out of 5 locals...only one I can get is NBC. No big loss Bill

Easy for you to say, you probably get your HD Locals from Dish...UNLIKE US IN JACKSONVILLE, FL!!!!!!!!!!

JCouch,

If you in such desperate need of getting your OTA HD channels, I suggest you get a reasonable OTA antenna installed. If you spent half the time you do right now posting your "I want my HD WHINE on getting an OTA Antenna installed, you'd be watching your local HD channels right now". Remember Dish does NOT carry Multicast digital channels nor your local PBS affiliates. The only way to get all of your local Digital HD, and Multicast SD content as a satellite subscriber is to use an OTA Antenna.

When you do you will get your Locals on your DISH receiver via its OTA Antenna input, it is seemless, and it will allow you to record upto 3 Sources at the same time.

Before you or somebody else starts with the posts saying, "I can't put up an OTA Antenna", Federal LAW states that no HOA, or other local ordinance can completely restrict ANY SIZE OTA antenna. Jacksonville along with 95 percent of Florida is FLAT so you won't have any issues with your OTA signals being blocked by Terrain. The only allowable restrictions are those that in an Historic district, or for those that do not have a Common Area (for those that rent) but since you already have a Dish(s) installed there is no reason you couldn't use a OTA antenna.

Lastly your OTA HD channels digital broadcasts are the only source to get the HIGHEST quality source for HD, Vastly better than satellite delivered local HD by DirecTV or Dish Network, and in many cases better than local HD delivered by Cable.

John

I currently get local HD - but the one thing that always seems to get over looked concerning OTA - is that not every location can receive them reasonably. With a great antenna we could only get PBS and NBC. To get the rest would have required a huge mast and that was not reasonable. I understand the frustration but could we all tone it down a notch.

Yeah I go to Pensacola a lot, will be there in two weeks in fact. I think that is what finally sent me over the edge, because I know Jacksonville is much bigger than Pensacola...well that and when I saw that they were getting them in Joplin, MO for no other reason than the fact that it is the hometown of their NASCAR driver Carl Edwards.

Joplin is one of several small markets in Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska that are now or will get their HD locals from one of two spotbeams on E*12 (spots 14 & 15). St Louis (currently on 118.5 CONUS), Kansas City (currently on 129 CONUS), and Wichita (currently without HD LIL) will, apparently, be on spots on 129 after Ciel 2's launch. See spot beam map here: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/e12spots.pdf

Also note on the map that Jacksonville, FL is not within an E*12 spot. This MAY mean that Jacksonville will be on 129 post-Ciel 2, or it may mean something else, altogether, but it appears that there is no current way to serve Jacksonville. As noted above, there could easily be other factors (retrans agreements, etc.) as well.

Brad

JCouch,

If you in such desperate need of getting your OTA HD channels, I suggest you get a reasonable OTA antenna installed. If you spent half the time you do right now posting your "I want my HD WHINE on getting an OTA Antenna installed, you'd be watching your local HD channels right now". Remember Dish does NOT carry Multicast digital channels nor your local PBS affiliates. The only way to get all of your local Digital HD, and Multicast SD content as a satellite subscriber is to use an OTA Antenna.

When you do you will get your Locals on your DISH receiver via its OTA Antenna input, it is seemless, and it will allow you to record upto 3 Sources at the same time.

Before you or somebody else starts with the posts saying, "I can't put up an OTA Antenna", Federal LAW states that no HOA, or other local ordinance can completely restrict ANY SIZE OTA antenna. Jacksonville along with 95 percent of Florida is FLAT so you won't have any issues with your OTA signals being blocked by Terrain. The only allowable restrictions are those that in an Historic district, or for those that do not have a Common Area (for those that rent) but since you already have a Dish(s) installed there is no reason you couldn't use a OTA antenna.

Lastly your OTA HD channels digital broadcasts are the only source to get the HIGHEST quality source for HD, Vastly better than satellite delivered local HD by DirecTV or Dish Network, and in many cases better than local HD delivered by Cable.

John
I have an antenna, and that is how I get Fox, CBS, WB, PBS, TBN and WJXT(an indy local station). I just have a problem with NBC, and ABC. And trust me it took much longer to put up that antenna, than I've spent in this forum. And my "whining" has got me several good answers in this thread. It finally worked and people answered me...including you. Heck I turned a pretty much meaningless uplink report into at least 3 pages of comments, so I'm glad I could give everyone something to do. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS.

Oh, which one simple FTA receiver out of factory can do same time :
- 8PSK
- Turbo Code FEC
- MPEG4

?

Where did I say that it did all 3? My CS8000 does MPEG4 & 8PSK DVB-S2

The 24 test channels that were on that old transponder before E2 blew up was a regular transponder (DVB QPSK with S/r of 20000)

MPEG4 8PSK....probably pretty damn good

a month or so ago (before E2 took a crap) they has 24 MPEG4 SD channels on one transponder and they looked really good. And before anyone asks or assumes, these were able to be viewed with a LEGIT free to air box. They scanned in as free :)

You didn't say it was QPSK either.