Uplink Activity Report - 7/9/2008 11:52am - 47 changes

It wouldn't be an additional dish.

If a particular market's HD Locals were moved to 61.5, then your "Dish 1000" would be replaced with a "Dish 1000.4" that points to 61.5, 72 and 77.

Those latter two slots won't be operational until probably some time this fall, and at that time, they will mirror all the 110/119 channels.

For those of us that are "eastern" and despise 129.. _can_ we switch to 61.5 today (and ditch 129) or are we better off waiting until all of the re-alignment happens?

I'm guessing/hoping (maybe wrongly) that I'd have a much better signal from 61.5 for my HD and thus much less rain/storm drop-outs.

And 129 will be going spot beam in 6 months as well.

If it was my company, I'd be starting a campaign with a goal in 6 months to move the Nashville HD LiL subs off 129 to 61.5. Would fit right in line not to have those locals in the way. Same goes with the Atlanta, GA locals. Lots of folks in Atlanta do not have LOS to 129 but have LOS to 61.5, so the Atlanta Dish shops will love this!

I'm worried about the Birmingham, AL HD locals now. They are already on a big spotbeam on 119. Covers Louisiana nicely ;) But in essence they could remove these and put up another market such as New Orleans instead.

For those of us that are "eastern" and despise 129.. _can_ we switch to 61.5 today (and ditch 129) or are we better off waiting until all of the re-alignment happens?

I'm guessing/hoping (maybe wrongly) that I'd have a much better signal from 61.5 for my HD and thus much less rain/storm drop-outs.

If you can setup your own dish to 61.5 and sub to those locals already they should be there.

If it was my company, I'd be starting a campaign with a goal in 6 months to move the Nashville HD LiL subs off 129 to 61.5.
I don't think that there will be any duplication of local channels in a year or two.

The reason is that Dish (and DirecTV as well) needs a huge amount of new locals capacity to comply with the 25/50/75/100 requirement by the FCC. Any duplication of locals will certainly mean that some other market is not being carried at all, which will have more of a sales impact than small fraction of people who might have LOS to 129 but not 61.5 or vice versa.

The fact that NY HD locals are now only on spot beams on one slot is a clear indication of this.

Some duplicates may remain on 129 until Ciel2 goes online, because the space cannot be profitably used for anything else before then (due to the low signal strength).

If you can setup your own dish to 61.5 and sub to those locals already they should be there.

Right.. I guess my question was that I am on a 1000.2 now... I saw the post comment about other sats that are moving, and the 1000.4, so I'm wondering if I'd be needing to make the change to 1000.4 in a few months anyway, in which case, a temporary addition of 61.5 might not be worth it.

Anyone know about all those MPEG4 SD's being added to 148W? Are they carrying any content yet? It's been mentioned about yet to be announced Western Arc.

I'm worried about the Birmingham, AL HD locals now. They are already on a big spotbeam on 119. Covers Louisiana nicely ;) But in essence they could remove these and put up another market such as New Orleans instead.
Along the same lines, I'm wondering what they will do with the Denver HD locals. Right now big 4 denver SD broadcasts are on a CONUS beam; the same HD broadcasts are also CONUS, but at 129. I speculate that at least one market (Denver) will remain CONUS after all the switching - just a hunch. ;)

If it was my company, I'd be starting a campaign with a goal in 6 months to move the Nashville HD LiL subs off 129 to 61.5. Would fit right in line not to have those locals in the way. Same goes with the Atlanta, GA locals. Lots of folks in Atlanta do not have LOS to 129 but have LOS to 61.5, so the Atlanta Dish shops will love this!

Agreed, hopefully your idea comes to light.

For those of us that are "eastern" and despise 129.. _can_ we switch to 61.5 today (and ditch 129) or are we better off waiting until all of the re-alignment happens?...
I asked the same question in the last week of March when Dish lit up the Austin HD Locals on 61.5 - should I add a wing dish for 61.5 or wait for the imminent roll out of the Eastern Arc that would only require a single dish? The sage advice at that time was to wait, since EA would be up "soon".

But then AMC -14 didn't make it into orbit and Dish fell back on Plan B -- Recycling Space Junk :eek: A lot can still go wrong, moving two old sats into position, etc.. And then there is the issue that EA is supposed to be exclusively for NEW subs for a while.

You'll have to make your own choice. But I'm very glad I had Dish install the wing dish back in March and did not wait for the fabled EA :)

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
I asked the same question in the last week of March when Dish lit up the Austin HD Locals on 61.5 - should I add a wing dish for 61.5 or wait for the imminent roll out of the Eastern Arc that would only require a single dish. The sage advice at that time was to wait, since EA would be up "soon".

But then AMC -14 didn't make it into orbit and Dish fell back on Plan B -- Recycling Space Junk :eek: A lot can still go wrong, moving two old sats into position, etc.. And then there is the issue that EA is supposed to be exclusively for NEW subs for a while.

You'll have to make your own choice. But I'm very glad I had Dish install the wing dish back in March and did not wait for the fabled EA :)

Talon Dancer

i'm also in austin, tx, but since i have an antenna and get OTA perfectly, i am NOT adding a wing dish to get 61.5 but will wait until things work themselves out.

Where's WPTY (ABC) in Memphis?

Just got 61.5 over the weekend and surprised to see that Memphis is only getting NBC, FOX and CBS. I wonder what the problem is.

I'm in Austin (north, up in Round Rock). I have a 61.5 dish from the CBS-E HD days. Having both the satellite delivered and OTA is nice some nights....

Was wondering the same thing?. Will I need a dish pointing at 61.5 now ? Currently have 110/119/129.

Blocked my 129 on a 1000.2 & added a 61.5 wing dish - FPReset & a new check switch brought in the MN HD locals just fine. Much better signal on that transponder than what I was getting with the 129 sat. Looks like a good option for HD in MN for those that have LOS issues with 129.

Agreed, hopefully your idea comes to light.

Maybe... lots of HD markets fall under this beam where Birmingham, AL HD LiL is at right now.

Attachments

• birm_hd_lil.gif
    birm_hd_lil.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 172