Uplink Report 5/08/08 6:20 PM EDT 69 changes all DELETES

Thanks digi.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of RSNs that only provide services part of the time.

So they cleaned a bunch of RSN stuff off TP32 of E*3 and the recently up-linked mirrors of the legacy MPEG2 HD off of TP21 on E*12. Then they deleted these TPs. Is that right?

Tomorrow's up-links should be interesting :)

Talon Dancer

Technically they killed the maps to the channels. The content is exactly the same as it was.

From what I can tell everything is still there but its just not mapped in Dish Networks tables.

Yup, the transponder is exactly the same as it was before. What happened was they removed this transponder from the tables. If you tune to the transponder, the channels are still defined and the video and audio is still there.

I'm wondering if at some point they will have two different services defined instead of lumping everything together. I'm sure its a nitemare keeping everything separate as it is now.

From what I can tell there are 9 SD channels and 4 HD channels on that transponder. I doubt EA PQ is going to be any better than what we have now :(.

I am sure there will be more and quickly, they need to have this working for next week so they can show it off at Team Summit.

They can show off a handful of channels, but whats the timeframe on the EA launch? I know the last word was end of May, but even that seems too close considering they need to move a satellite and get final approval to transmit from 72 or 77.

They can show off a handful of channels, but whats the timeframe on the EA launch? I know the last word was end of May, but even that seems too close considering they need to move a satellite and get final approval to transmit from 72 or 77.

I'm still wondering myself how they are going to piece this thing together. I'm thinking it is going to be delayed again since E3 wasn't replaced.

I know we keep hearing that AMC-14 wasn't going to affect their plans but the question in my mind was always "Why would you spend all that money leasing something you didn't need?"

I'm still wondering myself how they are going to piece this thing together. I'm thinking it is going to be delayed again since E3 wasn't replaced.

I know we keep hearing that AMC-14 wasn't going to affect their plans but the question in my mind was always "Why would you spend all that money leasing something you didn't need?"

+1

Well, EchoStar 3 needs to be replaced at some point. The fact that it is 4 Tps short of a full deck at this point may not affect EA soon, but it will at some point show up as a shortfall. It seems that EchoStar 6 could go to 61.5 after EchoStar 11 is in service at 110. Then EchoStar 3 may be the perfect solution for 72.7, since there are no known odd numbered Tp failures on it.

I still think the Mexican sat is the answer for 77.

E3 is on year 11 of it's 15 year life span. If i had a sat with only 4 or so years wroth of gas left, I would want to get a replacement up for it early in case something happens to the replacement. This way they have time to replace a replacement if need be, and guess what, they need to ;)

Well, EchoStar 3 needs to be replaced at some point. The fact that it is 4 Tps short of a full deck at this point may not affect EA soon, but it will at some point show up as a shortfall. It seems that EchoStar 6 could go to 61.5 after EchoStar 11 is in service at 110. Then EchoStar 3 may be the perfect solution for 72.7, since there are no known odd numbered Tp failures on it.

I still think the Mexican sat is the answer for 77.

Yea, and E11 doesn't even have a scheduled launch date. Just "sometime this summer". I'm not sure when QuetzSat-1 is supposed to launch but I didnt see it on a calendar for this year.

I doubt EA PQ is going to be any better than what we have now :(.

Did you really think that it would be? Honestly?

With this many subs tickled pink with the current PQ, (in E*s eyes, if you're paying, then you're obviously "content" w/ current PQ), then why would they bother to improve it, when they can just shove more channels at current PQ rates.

It's a nice thought...just can't imagine them actually doing it. :(

With this many subs tickled pink with the current PQ, (in E*s eyes, if you're paying, then you're obviously "content" w/ current PQ), then why would they bother to improve it, when they can just shove more channels at current PQ rates.

If there's no improvement in PQ then why bother doing it at all? Improvements in bandwidth from the SD channels all being MPEG4, marketing a single dish solution to subs? Those two reasons don't seem compelling enough to me. Especially since they've seemingly been working on this at the expense of national HD (thereby exposing themselves to increased churn making D* more attractive to new subs in the short term).

That's just my two cents.

Wouldn't switching the SD and HD channels from mpeg 2 to mpeg 4 improve the quality right out of the gate, without them doing anything else (such as increasing bit rates)?

Wouldn't switching the SD and HD channels from mpeg 2 to mpeg 4 improve the quality right out of the gate, without them doing anything else (such as increasing bit rates)?

Yes, in theory it would. But, Dish most likely would want to lower the bit rates to allow more channels in the same space. It would be a question of if they lowered the bit rate to the point that the MPEG-4 signal looked like MPEG-2 or left it a bit higher to have an improved picture.

Yes, in theory it would. But, Dish most likely would want to lower the bit rates to allow more channels in the same space. It would be a question of if they lowered the bit rate to the point that the MPEG-4 signal looked like MPEG-2 or left it a bit higher to have an improved picture.
I would emphasize: during last years Dish clearly show - number of channels is HIGH priority for them. Plus seen how HD-Lite adapted for all HD channels, our 'moaning' have no value for Dish decisions. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)