Uplink site for local channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

El_Viejo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Indy no place, IN
Does anyone know where the uplink site for Indianapolis is located? And how to contact them? I was told today by DTV that my local stations were pixilating because of the uplink site and wasn't their problem. They were supposed to call the local broadcasters and tell them that there was a problem. It sure would be nice to be able to bypass all the DTV crap and contact them directly. They would not even tell me which transponder the stations were on. This problem happens quite frequently. The audio cuts out and the pix freezes. So much for the digital stuff. I have less problems with my FTA channels. El_Viejo

I don't know for sure, but I think most of the local channels are sent to Direct'vs Uplink centers via fiber optic transmission. I don't think each station upload's to a satellite, received by Directv, then uploaded to Directv's Satellite, seems redundant.

now looking at an old document the uplink is in WTHR NBC

Indianapolis, IN WTHR 1200 W 96TH Street
Indianapolis, IN 46290 Indianapolis IN 46290

That happens. Directv gathers the signals in most cases OTA and one station has where the uplink for all the locals is.

I don't know for sure, but I think most of the local channels are sent to Direct'vs Uplink centers via fiber optic transmission. I don't think each station upload's to a satellite, received by Directv, then uploaded to Directv's Satellite, seems redundant.

Someone don't know how TV works..

Both companies still gather the channels via OTA. Minneapolis and Duluth they do. When our local CBS the tower lost power Directv and Dish subs lost that channel too
Mankato is a fibre line from the studio.....because there are only 2 stations in the market and both are the same channel (CBS main Fox subchannel)

Thanks, Ice!!! Oddly enough, the channel that i watch the most is WTHR and that is where I usually see the problem. That has to be it, since I am not using HD on DirecTV.

The picture quality I am getting on WNYW (Fox NY) for both ALCS and the World Series is excellent when viewed on on my 32" TV setup for 720P. The channel is broadcast in the local NYC market in HD by Fox but from All American Direct it is delivered as a SD channel.

Picture quality is better than many Dish SD channels and for me it is difficult to tell it isn't HD. AAD must be doing something to pick up or receive the channel for uplink other than using an off air antennae.

The picture quality I am getting on WNYW (Fox NY) for both ALCS and the World Series is excellent when viewed on on my 32" TV setup for 720P. The channel is broadcast in the local NYC market in HD by Fox but from All American Direct it is delivered as a SD channel.

Picture quality is better than many Dish SD channels and for me it is difficult to tell it isn't HD. AAD must be doing something to pick up or receive the channel for uplink other than using an off air antennae.

Not necessarily, many stations picked up OTA are crystal clear.
OTA channels don't have as much compression going on as the Cable Systems and the Sat companies.

That's the difference between analog and digital. In digital there's nothing in between 0 and 1 - it's either there or it's not. There's no 'fuzz' or loss of clarity when it's 'not quite there' (when the OTA digital signal is degraded, you get the blocky pixelization like when your satellite signal is going into rain fade). I remember years ago back in NJ the Oakland Cablevision head end used to pick up the locals on analog OTA, and it looked horrible because the receiving antenna was in a fringe area. It got even worse when they went to digital boxes (the fuzz was coming to us crystal clear! :)), and then one day it was like they flipped a switch, because all of a sudden they were crystal clear. They still receive them OTA, but they had changed the feed over to the digital signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)