UPN & WB merging- does this effect the Super Station package

ScottChez said:
The press release said both the WPIX UPN in NY and the KTLA UPN in LA would switch to the new CW network national network.
Does this mean we will loose these stations as they will then become national networks like FOX (they will have more than enough prime time hours to qualify).
Will we be grand fathered if we have them now?
I know there are other threads on this topic in the general sat forum, this thread is about the Dish Super Station package.

The affiliation/Network change of the superstations does NOT directly affect the package's availability. Superstations are specifically named as exempted from the copyright rules in the SHVA/SHVIA/SHVERA and can be sold nationally WITH ONE EXCEPTION!

If the a local channel imposes its right of Syndicated Exlusivity, then the Super Station provider must block out the programs on the super stations the local station has claimed as its own. Dish genenerally just drops the channel availability in that market. This is why UPN is not available in Los Angeles.

BTW, this year The WB was recognized as an FCC Network. UPN was not. It has to do with the amount of programming shown on affiliates simultaneously and how many states the network covers (in-state affiliates - WPIX counts for NY, but not NJ or CT). The new network CW will also qualify.

See ya
Tony

Man this is unexpected, at least it seems so for me. Anyway, I'm already looking forward to next season as it'll be cool to have all of the best shows from UPN and the WB together on one network. It should make programming the DVR a bit easier for me. :)

Iceberg said:
Sat
You can take just one of the Supers....I had just WPIX

I've tried this a few times and have been told that you can no longer choose just one UPN or WB. You have to have 1 of each at least, so for that price, might as well get all of them. I bet I have called at least 10 times on the issue (I am not good at roulette anyways :) )

Stargazer said:
You can still get the superstations ala carte for $1.50 a peice on Dish Network that is.

I know you guys say this and I know it's true. I have tried and tried and tried. Even emailed the CEO address on it. They keep telling me that I have to have at least 1 WB and 1 UPN to do ala carte. Hell, I even know a coworker that has just WPIX and he signed up for dish long after I did.

I just called and checked again and got the same answer. They must have the "Screw with this guy on the superstations" flagged checked. :( I even quote their website on it from this link

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/faq/search/channels/

and get the BS response.

SatinKzo said:
I know you guys say this and I know it's true. I have tried and tried and tried. Even emailed the CEO address on it. They keep telling me that I have to have at least 1 WB and 1 UPN to do ala carte. Hell, I even know a coworker that has just WPIX and he signed up for dish long after I did.
I just called and checked again and got the same answer. They must have the "Screw with this guy on the superstations" flagged checked. :( I even quote their website on it from this link
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/faq/search/channels/
and get the BS response.

I got a la carte on my UPN station because Dish doesnt carry our UPN here. That was when Dish had their call center in the US though... I doubt you will get anything out of India.

UPN9 here in New York is owned by Fox so mabey something new will hoppen to it

Something sounds screwy or they changed something within the past month. I just activated one superstation for someone ala carte within the past month.

Stargazer said:
Something sounds screwy or they changed something within the past month. I just activated one superstation for someone ala carte within the past month.

I'm sure you did! I am sure if you called today you could do it. I am not sure what I have to say to them to do it. But each time I call, I get the same response. I am not on any commitment, no special DHP plan. I own my own equipment, etc etc etc. Like I said, it is not a regional thing or zipcode thing cause my co-worker is in the same zip as me and has just 1 superstation. I sub to AT120 plus HD/Voom currently, but when I had AEP +HD/VOOM it was the same story, at least 1 upn and 1 wb.

On the CW logo - yuck! It reminds me of the new Weather Channel logo - no creativity at all. Just some words on a solid colored background. (And I am not convinced it will look very nice as a "bug" in the corner of the screen.

I am happy to hear, however, that they intend for UPN's "Veronica Mars" to join The CW network.

Stargazer said:
That is VERY good news that they are going to keep the WB's programming schedule. Before hearing that I could only see it impacting my viewership negatively since I did not watch hardly any UPN content. It looks like some of the WB shows that are going to get canned will be replaced with UPN's best rated shows.
I have the new logo that they are going to use attached.

Hopefully almost all of UPN's programming will be dumped since I frankly think WB offered better minority programming with 2 exceptions for UPN: "Moesha" and "Girlfriends". "Veronica Mars", "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Smackdown!" seem like the only other original shows, give or take one. Most of the other Black shows are interchangeable I'm sure.

The old logos look better than new ones in many cases. Its just like some of the redesigns they try to do with some of the automobiles. They make things worse by changing it. In this case, if I lose one or two of my favorite shows then it will make things worse in my own viewing experience along with many others. There will be little to gain since most people have the two network channels available now to see all of their content. With only one station the content is less likely to stay.

And I thought it was bad for WB cancelling shows so much. Now for them to possibly cancel out some of their most successful shows, dang, they must be hitting rock bottom to dump a lot of them like that. They sure must not have had much going for them. Same for UPN.

Maybe the independents will pick up some interesting things.

I hope this doesn't mean WPIX will stop broadcasting The Jeffersons! ZOMG I'm going to be crushed if they do :(

dfergie said:
Charmed going bye bye?
That show has been going downhill a bit in the past couple years, but still has a rabid following. My wife would be very sad to see leave, but it would free up a "top priority" DVR spot for me! :)

SatinKzo said:
I've tried this a few times and have been told that you can no longer choose just one UPN or WB. You have to have 1 of each at least, so for that price, might as well get all of them. I bet I have called at least 10 times on the issue (I am not good at roulette anyways :) )

Weird, I have just one WB station (WPIX, I think). I just becamse a Dish sub this summer.

Iceberg said:
I think in SHVERA they do qualify at networks.
I dont think anything will happen to the Supers until the digital cutover

SHVERA does not say thata superstation cannot be affilaited witha network. It says that it cannot be affilaited witha network that met certain requirements as of 1995. The CW will not mee that criteria neither did UPN or the WB. There seems to be controversy about whether the WB qualified as anetwork for other purposes (like distant nets) but that mereely shows that affiliation witha network is NOT forbidden under SHVERA.

I reamin skeptical about the digital cutover having any impact. We will see.

SatinKzo said:
That show has been going downhill a bit in the past couple years, but still has a rabid following. My wife would be very sad to see leave, but it would free up a "top priority" DVR spot for me! :)

I think it was already known that this was going to be the final year for Charmed (as well as 7th Heaven), long before this came around.

It was announced last night on CBS 4 Boston (Owners of WSBK-38 UPN), that WSBK 38 in Boston would go back to being an independant station.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)