UPS Power Backup for Directv system

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Enforcer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Hey everyone. I have a question for ya. I currently have assembled a rather extensive HT. I want to ensure all of my equipment has the best possible protection that I can give it. I have read that some people have had good results using a UPS power backup to prevent power surges and what not. Since my Directivo and HD receiver are pretty much turned on all the time, I was thinking about getting a UPS power backup. Can anyone tell me about their experience and your recommendations. If possible send brand names and model numbers so I can research. I tried doing a forum search but no luck on this topic. Thanks again!

I use a Monster Power HTS 5100 as surge protector/power smoother. And I use APC Model 500 battery backup for my TiVo. Battery backup is definitely recommended for TiVo to prevent loss or interruption of recordings; I have had the APC backup for about 5 years and have had no problems with it.

yea i was thinking more along the lines of this listed below. I am currently recording all of the episdodes of American Chopper and burning them to DVD and I do not want to loose an episode that may not get aired again. Thank you for the info. Is the APC Model 500 a reliable unit? How many hours of power can it hold? I will research it, but just curious if it's worth about 100 bucks or so. Thank you everyone who has replied so far.

dlma1 said:
I use a Monster Power HTS 5100 as surge protector/power smoother. And I use APC Model 500 battery backup for my TiVo. Battery backup is definitely recommended for TiVo to prevent loss or interruption of recordings; I have had the APC backup for about 5 years and have had no problems with it.

The model 500 is intended for short power outages only (up to about 12 minutes or so). If you think your power is going to be out longer than that I would suggest you research APC's web site (www.apcc.com) for more information. Or if you are really worried, a backup generator from Generac would be cool if you want to invest about 5000 on it. With a generator you can power the whole house and make popcorn, watch TV, and feel superior to your neighbors if their lights are out. ;) Seriously, if you are plagued by frequent long power outages that would be a better solution than a battery backup.

Well here is the thing. I live in a townhouse complex and all of you who know townhouse complex's sometimes have issues with electrical spikes or fluctuating power. For example, if I am watching tv with all my components on, and I decide to iron some shirts, (yea i know, don't even comment on that one, lol) when I plug in the iron the lights dim for a split second and it makes me wonder what it would do to all my components over a period of time. I hear that fluctuating power can damage your equipment. That's another worry of mine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts