URGENT: I NEED HELP! Coax cable is ruined!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

homerofwar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Saratoga Springs, NY
Ok so here is the story, I will try to keep it short, but My brother was moving the living room around when I was at work, he moved the tv basically to the other side of the living room, there obviously was not enough coax cable to reach all the way to the other side and connect to the HD DVR, so he told me he was going to pull the cable out from the floor, and was going to drill a new hole into the floor where the tv is now, I said that was fine on the phone. When I got home I find my hd-dvr not connected, and one of the coax cable ends was completely ruined unfixable (just the end, and i dont have coax tools to fix it) the hole between the basement and 1st floor was not big enough to fit the end though, and he said he thought it was just stuck when he was pulling it form the basement, and it separated the coax end from the cable.

So long story short, I have a hd-dvr not connected now, and a broken coax cable.

So what can i do? Will Directv Fix it for free? I have the service plan, and also they are supposed to come back for free anyway and route the other wire properly (they said cause it was to cold before) . I really need help, im extremely frustrated about it, When I had time warner cable they always had free service calls.

P.S. The coax cable is the cable the runs from the dish, to the receiver, it looks like a cable cord)

Your best bet is to wait till the tech comes back out. If u call in a service call for that they will charge you a fee for the call. The tech shouldn't have a problem with throwing a new connector on it. It would take about 30 seconds to do. Im a tech and that is a customer courtesy that I never have a problem with.

Your best bet is to wait till the tech comes back out. If u call in a service call for that they will charge you a fee for the call. The tech shouldn't have a problem with throwing a new connector on it. It would take about 30 seconds to do. Im a tech and that is a customer courtesy that I never have a problem with.
ok thanks i will try calling up and schedule the appointment for the cables (that free one), haha seriously i was gonna go nuts when i saw that, I was just looking at coax cable tools and strippers and crimpers can get kinda pricey. Like the other coax is fine, its just the one is just unfixable and needs to be cut and have a new f-connector thrown on it

If you practice what you're doing you can fix this with a pair of wire cutters, pliers & a couple of RG-6 F-type male connectors(Radio Shack, HD, Ace, etc..). The compression tool makes for a better/cleaner connection but since this is both temporary & indoors you will be fine. Purchase the bag/box of cheaper F connectors instead of the compression type because the latter requires the tool. A bag of ten (get extra because you will ruin the first few you attempt) should only be around a few dollars; substitute the wire cutters for your cuts & the pliers to compress the barrel of the F connector.

How Do I...Install Coax Connectors - HomeTech Solutions

You might want to watch the tech fix the connection...without getting in his way.....and I think you'll see it's actually pretty easy. I don't go around jerking the connectors off my cables but after watching a tech install my original DirecTV system years ago I learned how to do my own cables. First couple, in retrospect, were kind of hack jobs but I'm pretty good at it now and don't sweat it when I rework a run or cleaning up my cables.

Last edited:
I picked up from Home Depot my Datashark Model 70014 compression crimper a few years ago for about $20 and then a 10 pk of connectors for about $10. I forget what the stripper cost but it wasn't much. I have never been happier than when I bought the crimper. I have used it many times, including this last weekend to make some test cables. Quick and easy.

When you need something fixed right now you will never regret having spent that money.

Nothing is more satisfying then being able to do your own F-Type/Composite/CAT cables. Best money I ever spent was buying the tools to do my own cables. A little money up front will save you a lot in the future. I now actually look forward to rearranging and doing cable work as well as helping friends out, lol.

Bill

+1 :up
If the end was stripped off pulling it through a hole he shouldn't have to cut or strip anything. He's back up with a twist end in 30 seconds.

I wish that was the case haha, but the accutally black plastic coat around the wire just was extremely stretched out, and it seperated the f connector from the able but its still connected to the black coating around the cable and it just will no go back on

Here's what you wanna get. It's a good investment that will last a long time. I bought the same exact items and couldn't be happer.

Trust me... buy it now and be prepared for the future. You can make your own coax cables any time you want. Your friends and family will be happy too with your purchase.

Took kit (includes wire cutter, stripper, compression tool, ends, and 75' of coax.)
Datashark 70028 Satellite and Cable TV tool & cable - eBay (item 170307233629 end time Mar-30-09 21:39:55 PDT)

Extra ends
Perfect Vision RIDGELOC 360 High Performancel RG-6 and RG6 Dual F-Connectors (Bag of 50) (PV6-PV50) | PV6-PV50 [Perfect Vision] | rg6 rg-6 rg 6 connectors PV6-PV50 PV6PV50 PV6-PV50 perfectvision ridgeloc ridge lock ridgelock 360

Some local retailers will allow you to borrow their tools and charge you a deposit in case you dont return it. I think you can get by without the crimpers. You can leave the connector on there loose temporarily if it makes a connection for long enough until the installer arrives or crimp it with pliers. I think it would be more difficult to get by without the wirer stripper though because it does a good job of stripping the wire back. If you are very careful you can do it with a knife though and not need the stripper either.

I hate the twist on ends because some people buy the type for RG-59 wire and it is near impossible to put them on RG-6 coax while other times the threads cut into the ground strands of silver wire which makes a weaker connection.

You could actually just strip both wires back on both ends and splice them together if you made sure both wires didnt cross for a temporary solution without having to go out and buy all those tools or ends.

thank god, it was so hard but i got the f-connector on good enough to get a signal, and i just bought the kit off ebay, should be here next week, so I can fix this myself all the way.

Thanks everyone for the help!

About two years ago I bought the stripper, compression tools and a box of 50 connectors from Lowe's. I went through and replaced every connection from dish to multiswitch to receivers. Makes for a really nice consistent installation. I only had one failure when making the connection and that was the first one. :)

I picked up from Home Depot my Datashark Model 70014 compression crimper a few years ago for about $20 and then a 10 pk of connectors for about $10. I forget what the stripper cost but it wasn't much. I have never been happier than when I bought the crimper. I have used it many times, including this last weekend to make some test cables. Quick and easy.

When you need something fixed right now you will never regret having spent that money.

That is a dollar a connector!

The "F" connectors I like have an "O" ring and silicon gel for water protection.......$9.00 / 100 and I object to being forced to use the compression fittings DTV likes because they are about $25.00 / 100.

Cable dogs can cut cable for fittings with a box knife while walking across the lawn.

Resist the temptation to crimp fittings with pliers.

But Radio Shack can get you going. Priceless!

Joe

Eventhough I do not recommend, the twist ons are a good temporary solution!

I use them all the time. They make much better solutions than using the crimper tools. I had problems getting the end caps to stay on and the twist ons work great. I have a tool to strip the ends off so the coax end caps stay on. As long as I don't pull to hard on the end it last just fine.

I carry a couple channel locks in my truck. You can use these on the compression fittings just as good as a crimper.

I agree that you should buy a set of simple crimpers and some compression fittings. You never know when you or someone you know might need them again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blocking adult channels from showing in guide

New digital station lit up-not on guide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)