URGENT Letter...I did read some other posts, but....

quarterwave

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Ohio
So Wednesday night I got a call from DISH, well I assume it was them she said so, and I was asked to tune a channel and tell them what was on, I did and it said "Congratulations, you are tuned to the 129...." or something like that. The lady said "Ok - you're good, thank you". Took about 30 seconds.

Then Friday morning...a letter came about a required free alignment. So, I am semi knowledgeable here...I have a 1000.2 (110, 119, 129) and a 211k also a 311. Everything has worked fine since I upgraded it from a 500 that had been here and at my previous house since 2000. I do not need or subscribe to locals, and will never do so. I do my own work and own my stuff.

What I am reading is that they are basically trying to get rid of 110-119-61.5 setups on hd and put people on EA or WA dishes. Am I correct? Was the call confirming my 129 all they needed to know?

They had to have mailed the letter BEFORE they called...just hours in between, so I am guessing the letter was a mistake, since i did my own install maybe they had me flagged as 61.5?

I don't plan on doing anything about this, unless someone knows more....thanks for any help!

Which locals do you get?

Going through a list unless you get Cincy locals in HD (which require eastern arc) the rest of the markets in Ohio (sans Zanesville and Lima which are not in HD) are on 129W so you're OK then

So Wednesday night I got a call from DISH, well I assume it was them she said so, and I was asked to tune a channel and tell them what was on, I did and it said "Congratulations, you are tuned to the 129...." or something like that. The lady said "Ok - you're good, thank you". Took about 30 seconds.

Then Friday morning...a letter came about a required free alignment. So, I am semi knowledgeable here...I have a 1000.2 (110, 119, 129) and a 211k also a 311. Everything has worked fine since I upgraded it from a 500 that had been here and at my previous house since 2000. I do not need or subscribe to locals, and will never do so. I do my own work and own my stuff.

What I am reading is that they are basically trying to get rid of 110-119-61.5 setups on hd and put people on EA or WA dishes. Am I correct? Was the call confirming my 129 all they needed to know?

They had to have mailed the letter BEFORE they called...just hours in between, so I am guessing the letter was a mistake, since i did my own install maybe they had me flagged as 61.5?

I don't plan on doing anything about this, unless someone knows more....thanks for any help!

Which locals do you get?

Going through a list unless you get Cincy locals in HD (which require eastern arc) the rest of the markets in Ohio (sans Zanesville and Lima which are not in HD) are on 129W so you're OK then
;):D

The call was legitimate and was likely prompted by the "tags" for orbitals being wrong on your account on our end. The channel she tuned you to just verified that 129 was installed (couldn't get the channel without it). I know you understand this, but for anyone that might stumble upon the thread I want to make sure they understand it was legit.

Had the channel not been available, she would have scheduled a dish repoint for you so that you would have the proper orbitals to receive all the channels available to you. Glad to hear it only takes a little bit. Should be the last call you receive with regard to this.

My "local" market would be Columbus, but I use an antenna for OTA...only 40 miles from the transmitters.

Well, glad I did some research to understand it first, and thanks to you guys for confirming.

Anthony, do you mak candy in your spare time? Sorry, couldn't resist. Thank you!

TonyT@DISH Network said:
The call was legitimate and was likely prompted by the "tags" for orbitals being wrong on your account on our end. The channel she tuned you to just verified that 129 was installed (couldn't get the channel without it). I know you understand this, but for anyone that might stumble upon the thread I want to make sure they understand it was legit.

Had the channel not been available, she would have scheduled a dish repoint for you so that you would have the proper orbitals to receive all the channels available to you. Glad to hear it only takes a little bit. Should be the last call you receive with regard to this.

Are these letters auto generated?

I ask because i preformed a Service call for this exact reason. No changes were necessarry.

My "local" market would be Columbus, but I use an antenna for OTA...only 40 miles from the transmitters.

Well, glad I did some research to understand it first, and thanks to you guys for confirming.

Anthony, do you mak candy in your spare time? Sorry, couldn't resist. Thank you!

No he does cereal on the side. ;)

I thought that all current packages include locals and you get no discount for not using them, any more. That is unless there are no locals or partially so.
-Ken

KKlare said:
I thought that all current packages include locals and you get no discount for not using them, any more. That is unless there are no locals or partially so.
-Ken

If you didn't have locals before it became mandatory and you haven't made changes since then you can still be without locals.

Iceberg said:
But if he makes changes to package then they force locals on you

For free mind you.

So technically you'd be paying less per channel.

And if you really dont want them you coukd always create a favorites list and not include the locals.

Actually it is not free. I'm grandfathered out of locals in the Salisbury DMA and pay $5 less than the standard rate for my service level. If and when I make an account change I'll have to start paying an additional $5 a month (for sd MPT PBS and a sd NBC affiliate from Hagerstown 150 miles away, so that will never happen).

Wouldn't call it candy....

He's not gonna get that... :) Think he's related to Willie Wonka ?

Probably right.. I don't get it, but if I am related to Willy Wonka, are we talking Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp.... "Who can make a sunrise?"

No he does cereal on the side. ;)

"Show em your a #tigerblood, show em what you can do (#bi-winning)."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts