US Expat in Peru: What are my options?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anticucho

Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
I've just started doing some research into how I can go about getting American programming to my home in Lima, Peru. Until TV over Internet becomes more stable and available I guess I'm still looking at a satellite solution. I only have a 1Mb DSL and that just is not fast enough as during prime time hours I'm lucky to get 300K to the USA.

I have DirecTV Latin America and while it is better than cable it still is not US based. I have the same dish used in the USA and a very basic RCA receiver with no DVR. HD is not available on DirecTV Latin America yet. I also have the NFL Sunday Ticket, the entire reason I did the switch to DirecTV and it only costs $50. The problem is, something in Puerto Rico went wrong and they only show 3 games/week this year and the Steelers have only been on twice out of 5 games. This has been a very frustrating experience and calls to the local DirecTV office have been futile. This remains the only major drawback I've had in 1.5 years of living abroad and the only thing I truly miss, American TV.

All that out of the way, what are my options? Something I've considered is buying DirecTV at a store in the USA using a family member's address. Paying for it 100% online normally. Then bringing the receiver down here to Lima Peru. I'd then repoint my dish here to the proper coordinates. The obvious question is, would the signal be strong enough? Is there a way for me to test this out? Also, I assume this is not legal and I'd be breaking some sort of regulation so this is a last resort and probably not something I'd likely do.

In terms of standard satellite dishes what are my options? Is there something I can google for? This is the only active website I could find via google discussing such technologies. I am not looking to pirate signals or anything illegal, I just want to know if there is a legitimate way for me to get American TV to my home in Lima or should I just give it up and hope DirecTV Latin America fixes the Sunday Ticket next year?

Thanks and again, I'm not looking to do anything illegal. My basic question is, is there a legitimate way I could bring US based television to my home in Lima, Peru via satellite. And if so, could you point me to resources that would help me do. I remain a resident of the USA with an active residential address, bank and drivers license.

How are you watching shows online now? Have you looked into Slingbox? I'm not sure how it works but I've seen some decent reviews.

Well, when folks in Mexico or maybe Central America want to get Dish, DirecTV, BEV, StarChoice, or GlobeCast, bigger dishes often are the solution.
But that far south in South America, I don't think there's any size dish that's going to get you a signal from NA DirecTV.
But now that I've said that, anyone who knows a solution will pipe up! :)

You've posted in the FTA section of the forum, so I'm assuming you are willing to embrace FTA receivers, satellites and programming.
While some of the games you might want to see, could be on undocumented feeds, the chance that any would reach South America are ... limited, too.

In an effort to continue the discussion, maybe you'll answer these questions:
- do you want turn-key solution , or would you be willing to spend some time scanning satellites looking for feeds?
- we are talking 36" dishes for Ku band, is that a problem for you?
- there may be some solutions on C-band, but that would take an 8' dish; that possible where you live?

Sorry to say that but it is virtually impossible to get american channels off the air. You may want to look at jump TV, when I lived there, I had good enough reception in Miraflores to get consistent good data rate.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts