US Satellite TV's future?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
Looking at Lyngsat's Satellite Launches for 2012 & 2013 there is basically nothing going up to be placed for US usage. We are loosing Satellites left and right (all going East) and nothing going up in their old slots. We lost SES-3 and it looks like there is no plans to replace it. I hope fiber don't kill our satellite tv!

Yes, things do look bleak. However, I did find a few interesting things at http://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchPN?report_key=939825
"Star One S.A. requests U.S. market access to provide fixed-satellite services via the Star One C3 space station, which will be located at the 75° W.L. orbital location, using the 13.75-14.0 GHz (space-to-Earth) and 10.95-11.2 GHz (Earth-to-space) frequency bands. Star One C3 is licensed by Brazil. Star One requests waivers of Sections 25.137, 25.164, and 25.165 of the Commission's rules in connection with its request."

According to Lyngsat, Star One C3 is to be launched sometime in 2012.

Unfortunately, the following is definitely a sign of the times (but hopefully something good will come of it):

http://licensing.fcc.gov/ibfsweb/ib.page.FetchPN?report_key=940246
"SES Americom previously operated the AMC-2 space station (Call Sign S2134) at the 78.95° W.L. orbital location using the 3700-4200 MHz (space-to-Earth), 5925-6425 MHz (Earth-to-space), 11.7-12.2 GHz (space-to-Earth) and 14.0-14.5 GHz (Earth-to-space) frequency bands and the AMC-5 space station (Call Sign S2156) at the 79.10° W. L. orbital location using the 11.7-12.2 GHz (space-to-Earth) and 14.0-14.5 GHz (Earth-to-space) frequency bands. Both space stations now operate at different orbital locations. See IBFS File Nos.SAT-MOD-20111025-00209 and SAT-STA-20111017-00205 for Call Sign S2134, and IBFS File Nos. SAT-MOD-20110929-00192 and SAT-STA-20110929-00191 for Call Sign S2156.
The frequency bands previously authorized on the AMC-2 space station (Call Sign S2134) at the 78.95° W.L. orbital location and on the AMC-5 space station (Call Sign S2156) at the 79.10° W. L. orbital location are now available for reassignment pursuant to the Commission's first-come, first-served licensing process effective 2:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, February 28, 2012. At that time, applicants may file applications for new space stations, market access by non-U.S. licensed space stations, modifications to licensed space stations, or amendments to pending applications taking this announcement into account. Applications filed prior to this date and time will be dismissed as premature without prejudice to refiling."

Last edited:
Satellite will be necessary for feeds uplinked from remote or unplanned locations. That is the one advantage that satellite offers, and I don't see anything on the horizon that will replace it in such circumstances.

that don't explain nothing being launched for years to come, or no replacement for AMC-1 that was supposed to be replaced months ago. There are some birds up there getting old and you would think something would be going up above us and staying there in the next couple of years. Just ain't the normal I guess.

Wen I first started out in this hobby, I got in on the tail end of the 123W happy times, and I agree there is less good Ku content now.

On the other hand, if you have high-speed Internet, there is more content available there as we go forward.

Now if we just had affordable high speed Internet that you could actually use* here in rural Idaho.
*Not satellite based with limited data throughput.

However for us rural folk with space for Big Ugly Dishes, there should be plenty of C-band feeds in the foreseeable future.

US satellite TV's future? Simple: Pick one of 2 pigs & feed it. :eek: Sad, but the masses accept it this way. The decline of good TV value started way back, when the first of the analog channels started disappearing from C-band. Finding feeds is still cool, but as for the rest of it, the pigs are fat enough now. :rant:

for ku-band yes i agree....

at this point in time i think a ku-band setup is a waste of money, unless you speak or understand multiple foreign languages

if the only language people understand or speak is english, then c-band is the only way to go

US satellite TV's future? Simple: Pick one of 2 pigs & feed it. :eek: Sad, but the masses accept it this way. The decline of good TV value started way back, when the first of the analog channels started disappearing from C-band. Finding feeds is still cool, but as for the rest of it, the pigs are fat enough now. :rant:

That reminds me of this:

Homer: Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute. Lisa honey, are you saying you're *never* going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad! Those all come from the same animal!
Homer: [Chuckles] Yeah, right Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

I guess we're vegetarians :rolleyes:

for ku-band yes i agree....

at this point in time i think a ku-band setup is a waste of money, unless you speak or understand multiple foreign languages

if the only language people understand or speak is english, then c-band is the only way to go

I guess you're not familiar with what is available over on 30w :)

I guess you're not familiar with what is available over on 30w :)

If he is not familiar with what is available over on 30W, I am certainly not. So please enlighten us or is it a secret. Even if there something showing on 30W, I believe that, that is out of my reach of viewing.

If he is not familiar with what is available over on 30W, I am certainly not. So please enlighten us or is it a secret. Even if there something showing on 30W, I believe that, that is out of my reach of viewing.

In Louisiana, you should be well within the footprint of 30W. You might have clear LOS issues, but you should be in the footprint. The elevation would be 12 to 15 degrees and it looks like you are pointed at the ground, but it works. There is some English programming on 30W that is worth pointing at. You wont get new release movies, but you will have a reasonable selection there. You are only a little farther West than I am, swing a Ku dish over towards the horizon and see if you approve.

Last edited:

Our bearded neighbor to the south may not be able to send us his cigars but his TV networks are a fine gift to FTA aficionados.

Its no problem to receive 30W in the New Orleans area. You'll have to aim somewhat low, and therefore you'll need a clear view to the Southeast. It will probably be out of the USALS range of your receiver, as it is for me. However, you can use DiSEqC 1.2 to move your dish there. Its actually a good candidate for a fixed dish.

If you like movies, you'll love 30W ;) ...

I am near Omaha, NE and I can get Hispasat @ 30.0°W with my motorized dish. Have to use DiSEqC 1.2 motor control to step it there as USALS doesn't calculate out that far for me, but I have a degree or two left in the motor travel for it. Too much further west and I would have to set up a fixed point dish for this sat.

The Cubavision channel on this sat (TP 11.884 Vertical) provides a lot of good movies, especially on the weekends. Conky provides an English translation of their program schedule here on the site. Many of the movies are American movies with the original English soundtrack, but some movies are foreign. All of the movies are aired with their native language soundtrack (no annoying dubbing) but they all have Spanish subtitles. Some of the American movies are quite recent, I have noticed 2009-2010 movies aired in 2011 so they are not too far behind.

Besides this channel, there are 60 total TV channels and 58 radio channels which are all in the clear. This is my latest count as of today's scan.

RADAR

Last edited:
I have the 30 west in canada ontario and are ok to me because I no spanich,No english channels for north america at 30 west ,Arabee channels yes

Last edited:
Tanka,

There are English channels on 30W. You may just not have got them all scanned in.
Canal 12 is not English, but you got to watch it for sports.
CGNTV is English
Fashion One is English
Sonlife Broadcasting Net is English
KTV2 is English (good programs here from time to time)
Hispan TV SD is NOT English, but looks like a good channel for movies
Press TV is in English

I may have missed a few and some may be multilingual.

RADAR

ENG crews are increasingly using cellular backhaul packages instead of terrestrial or satellite.

Many new systems have neen announced in the past few months and I expect to see many new systems / providers at the NAB show. Why invest $200k+ in an uplink van when you can lease a briefcase package provided with the 3G / 4G bandwidth for only $1800 per month?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)