US Satellite TV's future?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've seen LiveU in use. It utilizes a bonded cellular system. It delivers broadcast-quality audio and video to the point where you cannot tell that it's not traditional ENG (or SNG for that matter). The latency is sometimes very high (around ten seconds)! This will replace a lot of the mobile uplinks for affiliate work. I don't believe you'll see the Superbowl using this technique, though. Also, like FaT Air says, not every area in the US is served well by cellular. I'd say it sounds like a plausible backup to a traditional uplink, but the big boys already have full redundancy built into their trucks.

SNG for that matter). The latency is sometimes very high (around ten seconds)! This will replace a lot of the mobile uplinks for affiliate work. I don't believe you'll see the
Seems probably most suited for "live to tape" situations where you don't need banter with the studio. I can't see how a live shot would work when the IFB (or live return if visual cues) is 10 secs ahead of the video you are sending back to the control room.

skysurfer said:
Seems probably most suited for "live to tape" situations where you don't need banter with the studio. I can't see how a live shot would work when the IFB (or live return if visual cues) is 10 secs ahead of the video you are sending back to the control room.

The demo did not have this extreme latency issue. The manufacturer indicated that in worst case situation the signal might experience a 2-3 second delay. This delay is similar to a domestic satellite backhaul. The system has integrated IFB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)