US Soccer needs a miracle to advance....and gets it!(FINAL GAME SPOILERS)

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I thought this was a great story. I don't know how many soccer fans we have here....but the US Soccer team looked DREADFUL in it's 1st to games. They got roasted by Italy and American-born forward Giuseppe Rossi, 3-1 and then the Brazilians toyed with the US, 3-0. They still had a slim chance to make the 2nd round...they need to BEAT Egypt by AT LEAST 3 goals(mind you Egypt UPSET the Italians earlier in the tournament) and Brazil had to beat Italy by 3 goals.....

...guess what happened....??!! LMAO!!!

US beats Egypt 3-0 and Brazil beat Italy 3-0!!

WOW!!!!

U.S. beats Egypt 3-0 to secure semifinal spot

Associated Press

Updated: June 21, 2009, 6:33 PM EDT
RUSTENBURG, South Africa

(AP) - The United States secured an unlikely place in the Confederations Cup semifinals by beating Egypt 3-0 Sunday.

The Americans had looked to be heading out of the tournament after losses to Italy and Brazil, but Charlie Davies, Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey scored in a vastly improved performance to edge the African champions for a place in the next round on goal difference.

With Brazil beating Italy 3-0 in the other Group B game, the United States will now play Spain in Bloemfontein on Wednesday.

"All of the critics in America who said we were no good after losing to Italy and Brazil, let's see what they say now," Bradley said. "We had to play 90 of 180 minutes against two of the top five teams in the world with 10 men."

The United States kept 11 men on the field all game after a red card in each of its previous two games and it showed. Where the Americans had labored previously, they shone throughout and could have scored even more.

"At halftime we knew what the score was (in the other game) so we knew that by getting the third goal, if scores stayed the same, we had a chance to go through," Dempsey said. "But during the game there wasn't a whole lot of communication so far as the score went so we just figured, 'Keep going and get more goals.'

"It wasn't until I saw the reaction from the bench that I figured we were going through."

U.S. beats Egypt 3-0 to secure semifinal spot - FOX Sports on MSN

They got their miracle, won't mean much when they lose later though.

Yep, it was pretty cool and I watched it all unfold live with alot of PiP going on.
Yeah, they'll probably get stomped against Spain up next on Wed I believe, but no one thought they'd get to that game...so I'll be watching. Gotta love Slingboxes :).

Yep, it was pretty cool and I watched it all unfold live with alot of PiP going on.
Yeah, they'll probably get stomped against Spain up next on Wed I believe, but no one thought they'd get to that game...so I'll be watching. Gotta love Slingboxes :).

Yep....I forgot, maybe purposely:eek:, all about the game after that toying that Brazil did with them.

I tried to get into soccer last time the WC was on. I would come home, put her on the old TV, sit back with a cold one, and within a few minutes I would be sound asleep. I would wake up about an hour later and I swear the game appeared as it did when I went to sleep. The score in most games would still be 0 - 0 and the crowd was still chanting the same exact think. This happened every single day, just about.

Even if they lose, they also get the benefit of playing the third place match -- almost surely against host South Africa, which will be good experience as well (though they did play South Africa last year in a friendly). And if they pull off the shocker and get by Spain (even if by penalty kicks), it would be massive for the confidence of the team.

I watched both at the same time too! Both games were interesting, so I kept switching back and forth. There was no point in watching them one after another since each disclosed the score of the other one. :)

I tried to get into soccer last time the WC was on. I would come home, put her on the old TV, sit back with a cold one, and within a few minutes I would be sound asleep. I would wake up about an hour later and I swear the game appeared as it did when I went to sleep. The score in most games would still be 0 - 0 and the crowd was still chanting the same exact think. This happened every single day, just about.
Almost any sport can bring you to sleep if you are not into it. I could say the same about tennis, baseball or many other kinds of sport. That's all until you learn to appreciate it, until you start understanding all the drama. And then you find yourself following the action as it develops, sitting at the edge of your chair even during some of the scoreless matches. Soccer is a beautiful sport, especially when high-ranking teams are playing. It's unfortunate that in this country it doesn't get the same following and recognition as it does in the rest of the world.

This is crazy that this actually happened. I have to imagine this is one of the more unlikely "comebacks" of sorts that soccer has seen in a while. They had no points going into the last game and advanced by winning by 3 and having the team they were tied with lose by 3. Crazy!

Almost any sport can bring you to sleep if you are not into it. I could say the same about tennis, baseball or many other kinds of sport. That's all until you learn to appreciate it, until you start understanding all the drama. And then you find yourself following the action as it develops, sitting at the edge of your chair even during some of the scoreless matches. Soccer is a beautiful sport, especially when high-ranking teams are playing. It's unfortunate that in this country it doesn't get the same following and recognition as it does in the rest of the world.

Very true. I cannot bring myelf to watch golf. It's like watching the grass grow...literally. I guess if I took the time to get to know the golfers I might appreciate it more....oh who am I kidding!?!

I could never watch golf...ever.

I'd rather watch Wipeout...

Sandra

:up:up:up:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts