US studies reusing old dead satellites. AP Story

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
Call it space grave robbery for a cause: Imagine scavenging defunct communication satellites for their valuable parts and recycling them to build brand new ones for cheap.
It's the latest pet project from the Pentagon's research wing known for its quirky and sometimes out-there ideas. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is spending $180 million to test technologies that could make this possible.
When satellites retire, certain parts _ such as antennas and solar panels _ often still work. There's currently no routine effort to salvage and reuse satellite parts once they're launched into space.
DARPA thinks it can save money by repurposing in orbit.
"We're attempting to essentially increase the return on investment ... and try to find a way to really change the economics so that we can lower the cost" of military space missions, said DARPA program manager David Barnhart.
Work on DARPA's Phoenix program _ named after the mythical bird that rose from its own ashes _ is already under way. The agency awarded contracts to several companies to develop new technologies, and it is seeking fresh proposals from interested parties next month.
A key test will come in 2016 when it launches a demonstration mission that seeks to breathe new life to an antenna from a yet-to-be-determined decommissioned satellite. DARPA has identified about 140 retired satellites that it can choose from for its first test.
Here's the vision: Launch a robotic mechanic outfitted with a toolkit that can rendezvous with defunct satellites and mine them for parts. The plan also calls for the separate launch of mini-satellites. The robotic mechanic would then string together the mini-satellites and old satellite parts to create a new communication system.
It's like doing robotic surgery in zero gravity.
DARPA officials said one way to keep costs down is for the mini-satellites to hitch a ride aboard available space on commercial rockets.
Harvard astrophysicist Jonathan McDowell, who tracks the world's space launches and satellites, called it "an interesting idea" that may reduce costs in the long-term.
"The first few times you do this, it'll definitely be more expensive than just building the new antenna on your satellite from scratch. But in the long run, it might work out," he said in an email.
McDowell said the biggest challenge in the upcoming demo test is separating the antenna from the retired satellite without breaking it and then successfully integrating it with the mini-satellites.
DARPA is used to funding blue-sky research and a few projects are slowly becoming reality.
In 2011, it dangled seed money to jumpstart a way to rocket people to a star within a century in what's known as the 100-year Starship program.
Long before Google tested self-driving cars, DARPA sponsored a robotic road race in which university-designed autonomous cars eyed for the finish line without human help.

I've had the thought that they should build satellites with a docking port.When the sat reaches it's end of life,mainly because it's run out of fuel,just launch a new fuel tank.The tank would rocket out to the sat attach itself.Maybe have new gyro's and positioning jets in the tank and that could take over positioning and station keeping for another ten years ,or whatever.

During the early years of the Space Shuttle program, the Shuttles were used to launch communications satellites. They could have probably been used to retrieve them as well, but it was concluded that using the Shuttles for satellite work was not cost effective.

I'd think they'd have to design the satellite to be taken apart. Salvageable parts just 'plug in & unplug' for it to be possible.
OMG -V'Ger (huh, you don't remember that?)

During the early years of the Space Shuttle program, the Shuttles were used to launch communications satellites. They could have probably been used to retrieve them as well, but it was concluded that using the Shuttles for satellite work was not cost effective.

I'd think they'd have to design the satellite to be taken apart. Salvageable parts just 'plug in & unplug' for it to be possible.
OMG -V'Ger (huh, you don't remember that?)

Yes, it was done. See this link:

"The commercial satellite Palapa B2 was launched for the Indonesian government on STS-41B in February 1984. However, it failed to reach geosynchronous orbit due to an onboard rocket malfunction. Sattel Technologies (California) purchased the satellite from an insurance group while it was circling the earth in a useless orbit, and contracted with NASA to retrieve it. Retrieval occurred in November 1984 on Space Shuttle mission STS-51A. Sattel also contracted Hughes Aircraft Company (the original manufacturer) and McDonnell Douglas (launch service provider) to refurbish and relaunch the satellite, then renamed Palapa B2-R. The relaunch in April 1990 was successful, and title transferred back to Indonesia. See the Palapa B2-R history at http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/Programs/palapa.html."

And from this link we get another satellite repair job:

"...One of Endeavour's primary assignments was to capture INTELSAT VI, an orbiting, but not functioning, communications satellite, and replace its rocket motor. Unfortunately, the Space Shuttle wasn't designed to retrieve the satellite, which created many repair challenges.

The project sparked public interest in the mission and NASA received a deluge of suggestions on possible ways for the crew to grab onto the satellite. It took three attempts to capture the satellite for repairs to be made. An unprecedented three-person spacewalk took place after the procedure was evaluated by the astronauts and ground team....

....Once the new motor was attached, it propelled the satellite into the correct orbit, providing a relay link for the equivalent of 120,000 two-way simultaneous telephone calls and three television channels...."

I've had the thought that they should build satellites with a docking port.When the sat reaches it's end of life,mainly because it's run out of fuel,just launch a new fuel tank.The tank would rocket out to the sat attach itself.Maybe have new gyro's and positioning jets in the tank and that could take over positioning and station keeping for another ten years ,or whatever.

It seems it's cheaper in the short run to build them disposable. I'm sure there's some weight and balance concerns with adding things on after launch, but I'm sure those are addressable. I suspect most future satellites will eventually have to have some reusable and repairable and refuelable abilities, just as today they keep enough fuel to burn up in the atmosphere or enter a parking orbit.

Very interesting! I witnessed the launch of mission 51-A with my own eyes from Cape Canaveral. That was the only shuttle launch I ever saw in person.

They are practicing re-fueling on the space station right now... special jig to resemble several vehicle styles and robotics to unscrew the fuel caps and set up transfer connections. Really interesting stuff. Building and orbiting these large satellite space ships is getting very expensive, if they can build in enough quality control to last a few decades they might just as well set up a way to re-fuel them.

Not sure on the technology but I wonder if ion engines running on solar power would allow for station keeping? Maybe they require consumables as well... don't know.. maybe that's why I'm not a rocket scientist... :)

It seems it's cheaper in the short run to build them disposable. I'm sure there's some weight and balance concerns with adding things on after launch, but I'm sure those are addressable. I suspect most future satellites will eventually have to have some reusable and repairable and refuelable abilities, just as today they keep enough fuel to burn up in the atmosphere or enter a parking orbit.
I agree, I can't imagine any retrieveability being commercially viable, satellites are outdated so quickly. In order to obtain a license to provide telecommunications services in the United States, the FCC requires all geostationary satellites launched after March 18, 2002, to commit to moving to a graveyard orbit at the end of their operational life or when there delta -v speed decays below 15m/s. Unfortunately this does not apply worldwide or to pre 2002 production. The problem becomes how to dispose of decaying and slowing birds in the geostationary orbit that do not have the capability of reaching the graveyard orbit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)