USA East & Sci-Fi

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Aguilobo2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
19.32N 99.13W
USA East & Sci-Fi East Analog feeds to convert to digital and change satellites - NBC Cable Networks will be changing the satellites and method of C-band delivery.

USA East will change on 11/15/05 will move to New Satellite Galaxy 1R, tr 24 from the current satellite G12, tr 19.

Sci-Fi East will change on 11/15/05 will move to New Satellite Galaxy 1R, tr 24 from the current satellite G12, tr 19.

NBC Universal Cable Networks will supply you with a DigiCipher Integrated Satellite Receiver Descrambler for each of the above services currently distributed to your head-end(s). You must be a current subscriber of the analog service. Please contact SMS today if you need to order a DigiCipher.

Source: Satellite Management Services

USA west and Sci Fi west are already on G1R channel 24. I hope your message means these channels will be made available to the rest of the Digital Packages. Or maybe it means, since I'm a subscriber to Netlinks Absolute Package and already get both channels I will automatically start receiving them. But, this has not happened in the past when channels dissapear from C-band. Other Digital Packages have had to negotiate to carry them. It sure would be nice to continue to get them. And would be even better if they made Universal HD available. As you can tell. I have quite an imagination.

Al

voomvoom said:
USA west and Sci Fi west are already on G1R channel 24. I hope your message means these channels will be made available to the rest of the Digital Packages. Or maybe it means, since I'm a subscriber to Netlinks Absolute Package and already get both channels I will automatically start receiving them. But, this has not happened in the past when channels dissapear from C-band. Other Digital Packages have had to negotiate to carry them. It sure would be nice to continue to get them. And would be even better if they made Universal HD available. As you can tell. I have quite an imagination.

Al

Sorry to be the one to brake it to you but Universal HD is megapipe and our 4dtv's cannot get megapipe feeds :( just like ESPN HD 1 and 2 TMC HD Showtime east HD and Max HD, they are DCII but megapipe and with Motorola not making us a new 4dtv anytime soon we will need to depend on HITS NPS or SRL to do something for us to get more HD, or we can hope that new channels will not go megapipe but you need to know that them going megapipe saves them money since they can compress more onto a transponder, money makes the world go round...

But look on the bright side Spice HD we can get :) well if they ever sell it to us...

Cool voomvoom I did not know those feeds where there they seem to just be adding the east feeds to this transponder and to my knowledge that transponder is not megapipe :)

Please say I am reading this wrong... Sci-fi channel going bye bye? I currently subscribe through skyvision... When do I lose it? How much will the equiptment cost so that I can watch it?

Thanks,
KLW

kevinloydw said:
Please say I am reading this wrong... Sci-fi channel going bye bye? I currently subscribe through skyvision... When do I lose it? How much will the equiptment cost so that I can watch it?

Thanks,
KLW

Get a 4dtv, any big dish user should have one by now :)

cablewithaview said:
If it doesn't go megapipe. Sci Fi more than likely be viewed on X4 if the G1R feed goes through on the megapipe issue.

I have looked and the west coast feeds and trio is on Galaxy 1R transponder 24 already and it is not megapipe, so it seems that they will just add these to that small mux of channels they have there already, we all must ask NPS and SRL to start working on a deal with them to carry the digitals though.

JerryK said:
Hi Guys...what's megapipe?

It's DCII on speed :) it allows broadcasters to compress more but have higher quality, there are a few things like faster bite rate split mode and this and that but all I know is our 4dtv's are not able to lock these megapipe feeds at all.

This is bad news for me... I only have an analog decipher board... No funding to buy a 4dtv receiver... I am lucky I have an old DVB unit (can not enter pids manually, no ac3, everything else entered manually=ebay $40)... Know anyplace to get a unit really, really, really cheap :)

Thanks,
KLW

kevinloydw said:
This is bad news for me... I only have an analog decipher board... No funding to buy a 4dtv receiver... I am lucky I have an old DVB unit (can not enter pids manually, no ac3, everything else entered manually=ebay $40)... Know anyplace to get a unit really, really, really cheap :)

Thanks,
KLW

To be honest it would be best to try to get a new one with warranty, NPS has a super deal on them at the moment that you can't really go wrong on:
http://www.callnps.com/4dtv.htm
You can call and ask if they have any refurbs also I think it is the same deal but $100.00 off, good luck.

tdti1 said:
I have looked and the west coast feeds and trio is on Galaxy 1R transponder 24 already and it is not megapipe, so it seems that they will just add these to that small mux of channels they have there already, we all must ask NPS and SRL to start working on a deal with them to carry the digitals though.

they are using 4410x receivers for the rollout, which uses megapipe, now they may not do it but how knows.

cablewithaview said:
they are using 4410x receivers for the rollout, which uses megapipe, now they may not do it but how knows.

So, this megapipe stuff is already in use? Is this gonna become the medium of choice? ...even replacing dvb?

JerryK said:
So, this megapipe stuff is already in use? Is this gonna become the medium of choice? ...even replacing dvb?

Yes it is in use, though only a few channels like the ones I listed in a previous post are using it at the moment, SA's power vu and the mpeg-4 will more likely be used for other progamming, Motorola is very pricey and so not all broadcasters will go with them, nothing to really worry about now but in a few years it may lead to the end of consumers subscribing to programming with the large dish, you must always keep in mind that when using a bud you are using what the professionals use and the good part is we get the first generation master broadcast feeds (well most of the time) better prices and quality, the bad part of all this is if and when the broadcasters get a better deal on encoders that will lead them to saving then they will most likely convert to another technology for there needs, and we will be left in the dust, but hey only time will tell when these things will happend so keep subing and enjoying the best system on the market today :)

tdti1 said:
Oh oh I really hope they don't do the switch...
I talked with Motorola today, according to tech support megapipe is a firmware issue. There has been some issue about this before in some of the forums. so if this is a firmware issue, will Motorola do the leg work in making it where we can use it on the 4dtv? also another question, TDT issue on F1 ku, Motorola explained in order to keep the TDT from running over when your on F1 ku, it would have to be sent back in to set it up where it would not do that. that sounds like a hardware issue? interesting what they could really do with it. I even asked if they would consider a firmware update on the DSR 550 (Voom) boxes where we could use them for HD among others. they thought it was an idea.

cablewithaview said:
I talked with Motorola today, according to tech support megapipe is a firmware issue. There has been some issue about this before in some of the forums. so if this is a firmware issue, will Motorola do the leg work in making it where we can use it on the 4dtv? also another question, TDT issue on F1 ku, Motorola explained in order to keep the TDT from running over when your on F1 ku, it would have to be sent back in to set it up where it would not do that. that sounds like a hardware issue? interesting what they could really do with it. I even asked if they would consider a firmware update on the DSR 550 (Voom) boxes where we could use them for HD among others. they thought it was an idea.

On the NPS chat yesterday, Mike said that Motorola did not want to spend any tech time for working on anything for any of the 4dtv units, and also I heard that Star Choice already bought the Voom boxes.

About the TDT overflow I recall I think it was Joe Cornwall from GI that said there was a way to fix this issue, with a update, though it needed some work, and I guess Motorola does not want to invest money on something that is losing them money, we can really blame those two fools that sued Motorola when they wanted to charge a small fee like $12 a year for the guide, if those two morons just let it be, I am sure we would have a whole different future for our buds :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)