USA Today: 2/14/05

ddlsmith

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2004
usaToday_small.gif

Could risk-taking Cablevision chairman be thinking about selling?
By David Lieberman, USA TODAY
NEW YORK — As an entrepreneur who built some of the earliest cable systems in New York and created HBO, Cablevision Systems Chairman Charles Dolan is one of the industry's most venerated champions.

But is he about to become its most heartbreaking defector? Some analysts say it's plausible, even likely, that he will — by selling the No. 6 cable operator in order to fund his pet project, a nascent high-definition TV satellite service called Voom.

He startled colleagues late last week when he struck a tentative deal to pick up the Voom assets. Cablevision recently decided to jettison Voom in a bitter showdown in which the board has sided with Dolan's son, James, who's CEO.

Charles and another son, Tom, plan to operate Voom, including its 21 high-definition channels that currently go out to about 26,000 subscribers, in a private company.

But they have to arrange the funding by Feb. 28, and appear to have few options. "I don't know how else Chuck can finance a satellite platform over the next several years" without selling Cablevision, says Fulcrum Global Partners' Richard Greenfield. "I think he's more interested in selling the company today that he has ever been."

The Dolan family controls nearly 76% of Cablevision's voting shares. Although the Dolans own less than 2% of the publicly traded Class A shares, they have all of the Class B shares, which get 10 votes a share.

A buyer would probably have to pay more than $12 billion, UBS analyst Aryeh Bourkoff says, for Cablevision's nearly 3 million subscribers and marquee properties, including Radio City Music Hall, Madison Square Garden, basketball's New York Knicks and cable's AMC and the Independent Film Channel.

But a sale would be a shocking vote of no confidence in cable as it faces intensifying competition from satellite broadcasters and, soon, phone companies.

Dolan's decision to back Voom already "puts him at odds with cable companies in general and Cablevision in particular," Bear Stearns analyst Raymond Katz says in a report. He wonders how Dolan can remain at his cable company "as he gets deeper into his involvement with a directly competitive provider, as well as a potential vendor" of HDTV channels.

A sale also could jolt Time Warner and Comcast, which recently made an estimated $17 billion joint bid for Adelphia Communications. They hope to split its 5.3 million subscribers, with Time Warner claiming systems that would enable it to control Los Angeles. But Time Warner, the No. 2 cable operator, long has salivated for the chance to consolidate its Manhattan system with Cablevision's franchises concentrated in New York City's outer boroughs and suburbs.

Of course Dolan appreciates better than anyone how dangerous it could be to cash cable in to fund a risky new satellite venture. "He has a history of launching ventures, and Cablevision has never been for sale," Bourkoff says. "I think he still believes in the (cable) technology."

In the end, the Cablevision board may insist that cooler heads prevail in the drama that pits father against son, and cable against satellite.

Directors must approve the final Voom deal once Dolan arranges the financing. The company says that there's "no assurance" that it will accept the terms.

Just more to speculate about. Once again, I am with Voom till the screen goes dark, which I doubt will happen.

This actually could provide a roadblock to his VOOM acquistion. If he tries to sell Cablevision to pay for VOOM the board could refuse to accept the terms and void the sale.

"...a nascent high-definition TV satellite service called Voom."

Gee, I wonder why so many casual observers may think Voom is only for high definition programming. :rolleyes:

A viable solution may be for Dolan Sr. to convert his outstanding Class B shares (voting) to Class A shares (non-voting). Of course, Mr. Dolan would be well compensated for his giving up control of the company...without losing a cent. Although he will still be a major Cablevision stockholder, Mr. Dolan would no longer have a say in their business operations and thus be free to pursue interests in VOOM HD LLC.

What do you think? Also, how much do you feel Dolan Sr. would be compensated for his converting his (49% ?) voting interest?

A viable solution may be for Dolan Sr. to convert his outstanding Class B shares (voting) to Class A shares (non-voting). Of course, Mr. Dolan would be well compensated for his giving up control of the company...without losing a cent. Although he will still be a major Cablevision stockholder, Mr. Dolan would no longer have a say in their business operations and thus be free to pursue interests in VOOM HD LLC.

What do you think? Also, how much do you feel Dolan Sr. would be compensated for his converting his (49% ?) voting interest?

I think the problem is that everyone believes what they read just because it is in print. That is a danger. That story was still speculation. No different than what most of us have done here. He controls the voting stock if it goes to that so he should be able to have his way. It would be odd if Cablevision goes down and VOOM survives. That, I admit, could happen. Something would have to happen with the Cablevision holdings and Son Tom would not be publicizing the transaction or putting it all over VOOM if the road map to financing wasn't already paved one way or the other. Wall Street loved the news of the sale of VOOM assets and the board will have taken note of how the stock moved up and put more value in their personal pockets.

Lucky said:
This actually could provide a roadblock to his VOOM acquistion. If he tries to sell Cablevision to pay for VOOM the board could refuse to accept the terms and void the sale.

How about this scenerio instead. He and the good son sell their shares which allows for a hostile takeover of the company. But chuck being the smart business man that he is, made sure he had a deal already in place with the new owners to allow him to buy Voom with his new found money from the sale of his cablevision shares. I like that scenerio alot better. He screws over the bad son and the board!!!!

Lucky said:

You don't really think he would make that part of the original deal do you? If anything, I can see the sale happening after the VOOM is in operations and that would pay for the sats that were orders. VOOM will survice. I just hope he sells Cablevisions to piss his son off and he and his other "more visionary" son make a ton of money!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)