USB 2.0 Media Recommendations

elder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I have zero experience on USB 2.0 media. What thoughts are out there on which way to go for the new DVR, flash or hard drive?

I'd say depends on yer budget, but a USB External Hard-Drive with a 500GB capacity can be had nowadays for about $90. Get as much as you can afford (up to the 500GB max the unit suppports) and more gigs = more space for recordings. :)

Because of off grid power considerations, I am using SanDisk 8GB flash drives from COSTCO. I keep my power consumption below 30 watts during recording on the box. For some reason, =unknown as yet - the hard drive added another 55 watts. I can transfer from the flash drive to the hard drive when I have the generator running or at peak sun times. I have not yet tried burning a DVD, but when I get enough to make it worthwhile, I will find out if I can burn 8 GB at a time or if I need to burn more from the hard drive.
My 500 GB hard drive was less that $90 , but as I noted, draws too much current to use to record onto directly at off times.

Wow! There are a lot of 500 gig hard drives out there, what's a good brand under $100?

The TIME MACHINE MODE sounds interesting. If it has pause and instant replay capability it might be better to use a flash card for that mode rather than spinning a hard drive all the time. One could always switch to a hard drive for serious archiving.

Last edited:
"Good Brand" to me are the more reputable brands like Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor.... these guys are some the traditional hard-drive manufacturers so i tend to go with any of them.

I usually go with Seagate as their 5-year warranty is the best in the business. Western Digital is my next choice.

I've had Maxtor's die on me prematurely, so I don't recommend them (although any hard-drive can die, so my experience will not be the same as someone elses).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)