USB 3.0 Support for EHDs? Which DVRs?

psychotrope

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Couldn't find the answer in search. I have a 922 and a 722 and just need to know if it's worth anything to choose a USB 3.0 EHD over one that is only USB 2.0 for my DVR. Do any of the Dish DVRs support USB 3.0? If so, does anyone know which ones? Sorry if this has already been asked. Thanks for your time.

No. No USB 3 in the Dish world today.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thanks, that's helpful. Can you confirm for me whether or not USB 3.0 is something that could be "upgraded" to via a future DVR update? My understanding is that that would be impossible, but I thought I'd double check with people who know more about the physical structure of electronics than I do. For example, could Dish do a firmware update or software update (over Ethernet) on the 922 or 722 where they make that DVR model capable of utilizing USB 3.0 speeds through it's existing USB ports for External Hard Drives?

I'm not certain why this is an issue. While transfers of several shows or movies to the EHD can take a couple hours, the process is in the background and you (I) almost immediately forget that it is happening. Dish did very well with that aspect.

Thanks for the info. I am quite happy with the USB 2.0 speed of transfer and am currently shopping for a second EHD. I wanted to confirm that as an exclusive DVR-extender, there would be no reason to favor a USB 3.0 EHD over a USB 2.0 drive, all other things being equal. That would appear to be the case.

There is an eSATA port on the Hoppers, so it seems like if Dish wanted greater bandwidth for whatever, they would go there rather than USB 3.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)