USB downloading

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
Probably a question that has been already answered but here goes. Any way to download programs onto a flash drive? I did a search and didn't find a real recent post. Thanks

Well... "Requirements" aside, there are flash drives that should work. I've personally gotten a 256GB SSD drive by Crucial to work reliably without an external power supply. Theoretically, I think a 64 or 128GB thumb drive should also work, since they're bigger than the 50GB software threshold. I've been tempted to buy one of the 64GB variety just to see if it works too. Some cost less than $30.

Why would one want a flash drive to d/l to?

1) For use as an EHD.
2) To watch the content on a computer or such elsewhere.

1- Way too small and cost per MB way off
2- Won't work due to encryption

I was thinking (3) to move small numbers of programs from one receiver to another. Using a thumb drive for this purpose is a whole lot more convenient, not to mention safer, than banging an external disk w/power supply around.

I was thinking (3) to move small numbers of programs from one receiver to another. Using a thumb drive for this purpose is a whole lot more convenient, not to mention safer, than banging an external disk w/power supply around.

Good idea. So good, now I'm going to have to try it!

No I thought I could just download a few programs and play them back on my laptop at work.

That definitely will not work because all programs are encrypted on the EHD. Agree with JayStil; get a sling adapter. Incredibly enough, this works at my workplace despite abject paranoia and draconian firewall measures out of our security team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts