Usb?

wasabi

Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
just recently got Voom.. in the back, i see what looks like a slot to plug a USB cord in... it even has the little USB icon.

what is this for? maybe i can watch this on my computer? :/ i dono

wasabi,

welcome. Nobody knows what the usb is for. Somebody tried already to put a network card in there and there was no response from the network card.

It'd be great if the USB port went hot. It could eliminate the need for a phone, much like Tivo did with the Series 2. I don't know how well a USB setup could handle video transfers, though. Seems like firewire's the standard.

with a usb/ethernet adaptor and a hard drive in it (theres plenty of room in it) it could do all sort of things

can't you just take a cord, plug it in the voom and into a usb port on your computer?

I tried that, nothing happened. The port is not powered. My best guess is that the device has to be connected to a powered port to send who knows what to it.

Here it is.

Ethernet Port: This is for future developments. For example, it could be used for Internet connectivity.

USB Port: This is for future developments. Again, it might be used for connecting a keyboard, or some other device. This port is also found on the front of the receiver.

For a list of all the connections. Go here

I thought it could be used to flash the damn box, instead of waiting for a transmittal, d/l it and send it to the box. Alas, my ideas benefit the common man, that is why they are ignored and shunned.

babyj said:
For a list of all the connections. Go here
Keep in mind though, that StarChoice uses DSR500, while VOOM has DSR550. Although they look similar, they are not the same thing. For example, some outputs are different.

I Know this is my frist post never had a need to post before. BUT the USB port is now hot ( Well its hot on m box ) I have pluged a USB Network card in and it lights up. ( the card is USB 1.0 ) Not that it is any good info now that voom is going out :-( its very sad to see a big compay back out since they did not get rich(er) in a shot time..

Welcome to the forum, AFKsky!
A lot of things hapenned since my previous post in this thread. VOOM was very close to releasing the DVR and the multi-room networking solution. They must have activated the USB port in one of the recent software updates. They were going to use it as a network interface...

sean_shooks said:
I tried that, nothing happened. The port is not powered. My best guess is that the device has to be connected to a powered port to send who knows what to it.

This makes me want to try something. I have a powered USB cord. It is used to power my digital camera for when you take the batteries out and want to operate it as a web cam.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)