Use DirectTV LNBF with DISH 211K receiver

davec101

Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Illinois
I just switched from DirecTV to Dish and now using a VIP211K receiver at home with a 1000.4 dish on the Eastern arc. I want to put this receiver in my RV when on the road. The dish on the RV is a Winegard single LNBF crank up that worked well with a single satellite on DirecTV. Question: Can I connect the RV dish to the 211K and use that with Dish TV or do I need a different LNBF? I realize I would only get one of the Echostar satellites at a time but that may be ok for my needs now. I tried it, did a check switch and test but it did not recognize any switch or device. I'm now out of my league. TIA for any help.

You're good to go!! The older Dish Network and DirecTV single LNB's were cross-compatible with one another. Since a switch doesn't exist in your setup, it will not see one and I believe it will just be considered a "feed" in the point dish screen. I have the same setup when I go camping with a 211 and a single DirecTV dish pointed at 129 for the HD stuff. You won't get much of a guide, since the full guide download is only on 119, but you'll get 2-3 hours worth.

Still trying to get a signal from my DirectTV dish to the 211K on 110

I've connected my 211K (set for the Eastern arc) to a DirecTV dish pointed to 110 but the 211K seems to expect a signal on 61.5. The check switch also indicates no signal. Shouldn't I get something from 110 just to verify this will work and then I can repoint the dish to 129?

It should just work just fine. Do a check switch once it is hooked up in the RV to clear the switch matrix. Then start pointing the dish. I would think you need to do a check switch anytime you change the satellite you are pointed at.

You need a dishpro dual lnb for the side sat dish for 110 to work with the dishpro Plus lnb on the 1000.4 sat dish. I am betting the directv lnb is a legacy style lnb and won't work with the dishpro plus technology. I have this eastern arc +110 side sat configuration at home on my install. I get all my national programming off of 61.5/72.7/77 sats and I use the 110 side sat dish for my Houston hd locals. It works fine.

I have a Dish 1000.2, vip722. I also have an old Direct TV Phillips Sat. dish with single lnb. Am I able to run a wire from it to the 1000.2 to receive the 77 satellite? Would these be compatible or must I use the Dish 300 or 500?

You need a dishpro dual lnb for the side sat dish for 110 to work with the dishpro Plus lnb on the 1000.4 sat dish. I am betting the directv lnb is a legacy style lnb and won't work with the dishpro plus technology. I have this eastern arc +110 side sat configuration at home on my install. I get all my national programming off of 61.5/72.7/77 sats and I use the 110 side sat dish for my Houston hd locals. It works fine.

Davec101 is not trying to add a wing dish to his 1000.4, he just has an old single lnb directv dish on his RV. He should have no problems connecting the dish directly to the 211k and receive a single sat. Davec101, just confirm you don't have any old directv hardware (i.e. a directv switch) between the dish and the 211k. You shouldn't have anything, and I don't believe it would hurt if you did, but double check.

MikeD, are you certain on your statement?? I don't know, which is why I'm asking, but it was my understanding that you could use a legacy LNB on the 1000.4 input, even a 30" FTA dish.

Thanks

-

Davec101 is not trying to add a wing dish to his 1000.4, he just has an old single lnb directv dish on his RV. He should have no problems connecting the dish directly to the 211k and receive a single sat. Davec101, just confirm you don't have any old directv hardware (i.e. a directv switch) between the dish and the 211k. You shouldn't have anything, and I don't believe it would hurt if you did, but double check.

MikeD, are you certain on your statement?? I don't know, which is why I'm asking, but it was my understanding that you could use a legacy LNB on the 1000.4 input, even a 30" FTA dish.

Thanks

As far as I know and in my experience it has been 12 years with DISH this month, you have to use a dishpro dual or single lnb when you connect it to a dish pro plus sat dishes like the 1000.2 or 1000.4 sat dishes . A legacy style lnb like Directv will not work with them nor will a legacy style lnb from DISH ,when you plug it into a dish pro plus twin lnb or triple style lnb. They simply do not work together. But by all means you can go ahead and try and see what happens and if it works please report back and let us know. It has never worked for me in the past and I have had the following dishes from Both sat companies:

dish 500/dish 1000/dish 1000.2/dish 1000.4 and a side sat dish with a dishpro single or dual lnb for one other sat. Also had the 18" sat dish from Directv and the newest 5lnb from DIRECTV for hd -had that one last year at this time. I had no luck connecting the legacy style lnb from DIRECTV with my dishpro plus lnbs with ports for another side sat dish.

If all you want is to use the 18inch dish from DIRECTV which is a legacy style lnb for one satellite reception with your dish receiver , it will work for one sat. You will most likely have to clean out your matrix if you had another switch matrix with 3 sats using a dishpro plus dish like the 1000.2/1000.4 sat dishes. All you do is run the receiver check switch with no sat connection to clean out the old switch matirx, then connect the new dish and rerun the check switch and you should be good to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)