Use for iPhone 5

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CLASSICDIRECTV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2022
Shreveport Louisiana USA
I have a mint condition slate black iPhone 5 that I’m going to downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 for fun, any recommendations on what I should do with it after that like jailbreak, music Time Machine, 2010s nostalgia machine etc? It’s 16 gb btw

I liked the iPhone 5 as it was one of the last iPhones you could easily open up for battery replacement without dealing with seals. I did a screen replacement and battery replacement on my son’s 5 many phones ago…

The screen size would be good for mounting in a car for ODB data readout. The iPhone 5’s main camera was okay, not bad for the day, so it could be used as a web cam for a PC that doesn’t have one.

I have an old iPhone I use as a remote control. It has the app for Roku and Denon on it and also my software to control my lights.

I have two old iPads which I use as security camera monitors. They work great.

Reactions: navychop
I have an original Ipad Air that is just sitting around, I could use it for Ring cameras pop up, what an idea :) Do you have them mounted to a wall or have in a stand?

I use an old Samsung tablet for monitoring security cameras. In order to leave it plugged in all the time and not ruin the battery, I use one of THESE . It may not be necessary with iPad, as they usually do pretty good battery maintenance on their own. You could use an old iPhone for this also, although the screen might not be large enough for you.

Another use for an old phone is to mount on a drone controller for video.

I've been giving my older ones away to grandkids, but as they got older they wanted the newer ones. My 13 year old is taking a photo journalism class and they required the kids to have a DSLR, so I had an old Sony alpha with zoom lens( 1/2 of my 3D camera rig ) so when the younger one needs his own, He'll get the other matching one. I gave them my old Gopro 3 Blacks kit too but I don't think they ever used them.

I did use my iphone 6 for a screen for my DJI Mavic drone controller but switched to an old iPad instead. Today I use the new DHI mini Pro with the built in screen.

Thought I would have an iphone 11 Pro Max to give away, but I'm not excited about the new 14 at all. Looks like they took something that works great and tried to fix it with something different. Is Apple running out of new ideas for the iphone?

Outside of something like 3D that didn't really work out this time around, what's left (short of implants)?
Actually the iphone does support side by side 3D. I still use it to check video with my Insta VR180 3D camera and my Vuze XR 3D camera. These companies have apps that connect the camera with wifi and then you access what you shot and it displays the camera stored video in 3D. This also works on my Android phone too. Plus Vuze and others have 3D 360 VR cameras. I have the Vuze but today's image quality is much better with the bigger cameras. I have an underwater housing for it too.

3D has evolved today from the former home theater 3D flat screen which never made it beyond a fad to now, VR 180 3D that you view with your HMD such as the Oculus Quest.

What's left aside from the health implants, is Apple needs to make a selfie camera built into the watch as an upgrade to Facetime video. My grandkids only do Facetime so I had to learn that when they call I can't just answer them on my Apple watch.

There is a camera watch band for the Apple watch but it is big and awkward to use.

I have a mint condition slate black iPhone 5 that I’m going to downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 for fun, any recommendations on what I should do with it after that like jailbreak, music Time Machine, 2010s nostalgia machine etc? It’s 16 gb btw
Old cell phones work great as a controller for small drones like the Tellos or for displays on the larger drones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts