Use of a wireless video cam for FTA dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
Few years ago bought one of those cheap wireless cams at a local computer festival for about 29 bucks. They come in handy for lots of things.

Mounted the camera on a motorized dish so I can see the degree settings on the H-H motor as the dish moves around.

Back in the house I set up the video cam receiver so I can see the degree setting on the motor. This comes in handy when setting DiSeQC for different sats,and also when troubleshooting motors gone awry.

It's a little tricky setting up the camera to get it located just right, do that by taking a small TV rcvr out with me. When you get back in the house you have a nice live video of what exact position the motor is for different satellites. It will also give you an idea of how your motor moves when making slight degree adjustments. Found that motors are not all the same - some move a fraction of a degree, others move a few degrees.

The camera can be held in place with a small magnet, or it can be mounted on the tube with pipe cleaners.

Sponge

Attachments

• wireless video cam.jpg
    wireless video cam.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 238
  • campic.[1].jpg
    campic.[1].jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 222
I used an IP cam once for 'kind of' the same purpose. Can't see the BUD from the receiver/Gbox location. 'Tuned in' with a laptop.

What is the current draw? One could build a simple DC-DC converter and tap power from inside the motor. This would prevent further dBi loss from something else in line with the coax.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)