Used 811 + $9.99 Welcome Pack = Possible?

Amiga

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
I'm reading in other posts that DISH is dumping the $9.99 Welcome Package programming on 1/31/09, so I want to jump on it. I thought about buying a used 811 receiver (making sure it is free and clear) and activating it with the $9.99 Welcome Package.

I could care less about future satellite HD usage, want cheap service. I like the receiver because it has DVI (DVI to HDMI cable) and can handle OTA DTV. I'm a bit confused whether DISH will allow these old receivers to be activated with a new account.

I'm confused, I had an 811, and it would no recieve sat. signal about a month ago. I called DISH and they said, it was obsolete, so they exchanged it for a 211. Are you sure an 811 will work at all these days.

811's still work fine with sd (non HD) programming.
I sold and installed my old 811 at my golf club two years ago.
It's still going fine......

fred

I have two of them connected now for SD and OTA HD programming. They are a little slow by todays standards but still working.

Wouldn't a 381 serve the same purpose? It might be difficult to activate an 811 on a new account, but 381s are being installed as I type this.

Wouldn't a 381 serve the same purpose? It might be difficult to activate an 811 on a new account, but 381s are being installed as I type this.

They are the same unit, just have a different model number printed on it.

I'm reading in other posts that DISH is dumping the $9.99 Welcome Package programming on 1/31/09, so I want to jump on it. I thought about buying a used 811 receiver (making sure it is free and clear) and activating it with the $9.99 Welcome Package.

I could care less about future satellite HD usage, want cheap service. I like the receiver because it has DVI (DVI to HDMI cable) and can handle OTA DTV. I'm a bit confused whether DISH will allow these old receivers to be activated with a new account.
Bottom line, Dish will no longer activate 811's

I activated an 811 this last month, CSR tried to tell me it would not receive any channels, I told him I just wanted SD. I asked to be moved up to a Tech Rep and he activated with no problems. I think they just do not want an unhappy customer that later wants HD. Dish sold me this unit in November and brought out the MPEG4's in December of that year...I lost just a little trust for Dish over this.....I paid over 400$ for an outdated 811!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)