Used HR20 DVR activation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkm4t2

Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Hello,
I picked up an HR20 receiver at a garage sale. When I called D they said that it was a leased DVR and I wouldnt be able to get an access card for it to work. I would like to replace one of my standard receivers with this one, is there anything I can do?

no, all HR20s are leased and property of D*. Once service is cancelled, the user has to send it back or pay 470. There are a few exceptions, but very few.

About all you can do with it is pull the SATA hard drive and use it with a computer (after reformatting, of course). The seller will probably find a nice surprise on his credit card bill.

All HR20s are not leased there are quite a few that are legtimately owned but the majority are leased. When you want to buy one you need to get the RID# and call D* to verify it's ststus as leased or owned. If owned you need to then find out if there is an outstanding balane on the account that would have to be payed before it can be activated. Call D* and see if they will provide a shippingf label to return the leased box you "purchased" and see what you can get for an upgrade offer for your account.

Boba, from my memory the HR20 came out after the leasing model changed. They went to lease in spring 06, and HR20 came out in summer 06.

There were many H20 (non-dvr) that are owned, but there should be very few HR20, where the owner would have paid $500-$800 for the right to own it. Very few.

Jason there were also HR10-250s that were owned and D* offered them an option to upgrade to the new HD DVR and maintain ownership. At the time leasing started people had the option of buying instead of leasing and there were quite a few that didn't mind the $1000 range to own instead of lease. Today more people have seen the benefit of leasing over owning but there are still many questioning how to own instead of lease.

Status
Please reply by conversation.