usefulness of old analog receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phileFriendly

Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Western WA
I have an old analog receiver (a Pansat BR-1000), that I'm not using. Are these old receivers worth anything, would anybody still want one? I'm wondering if I should bother to eBay it, if I should take it to the local Goodwill, or whether it ought to just go in the trash.

Thanks for any info!

I don't know if it would be worth all the hassle of selling it on e-bay, but I would not trash it. It can easily be slaved to a DVB receiver with a short coax run, opening up the analog side of the satellites. There is still a LOAD of college sports on analog FTA. I am sure someone here would jump at the chance of an analog receiver, why not put a post in the classifieds and see what kind of interest it gets!

I would bet that this has been "asked and answered" in many other threads, but I will ask anyway. What else, if anything, would have to be added to that configuration to get the analog channels? Wouldn't you need to strap on an additional analog LNBF? Is it really possible to get analog with a 36" dish? Can you use a Universal LNBF to get analog transponders?

I get the Ku stuff, but I am still learning about the older analog gear.

Cheers!

The same LNBF is used for Digital and Analog signals.

(Standard or Universal)

I have no problems picking up Analog KU-Band channels with my 36" dish here in MN.

Very cool! Is there anything special, other than the addition of the analog receiver, that needs to be done to pull in the signals?

all you really need to do is "slave" your analog to the digital receiver...most receivers have a loop out

all you need is a short piece of coax and highly suggest getting a DC block (you can get them at radio shack).

The analog would get the same polarity as what the digital is on (vertical or horizontal)

No, just motor to the satellite, turn off the digital and turn on the analog. A short run of coax is used to slave one receiver to the other. I have the Analog slaved to the Digital receiver, so whatever polarity the digital is on the analog is always on the same polarity.

Beat me Iceberg :)

Excellent! Before I take it waaayy off topic, do you have any recommendations for analog receivers to be on the lookout for on eBay or at hamfests?

I have 2 Toshiba 1420's and use to have a 1520....all nice units :)
(the only difference between the 1520 and the 1420 is the 1520 is a UHF remote)

Cool! I will have to keep an eye on the classified ads to see who has what. I'm not a big fan of eBay and hamfest season is almost over in NY, so folks in this community would probably be a great alternative.

Thanks again for all the info. You guys are definitely pros.

hantu said:
Cool! I will have to keep an eye on the classified ads to see who has what. I'm not a big fan of eBay and hamfest season is almost over in NY, so folks in this community would probably be a great alternative.

Thanks again for all the info. You guys are definitely pros.
You might check you local thrift stores as well. This is where I picked mine up.

Usually the shipping cost nearly as much as the receiver :).

Shawn

I like the thrift store idea. I have quite a few around here to choose from.

I can probably check with the local hams, too. Those guys always have stuff stashed that they would be willing to part with for a price.

Thanks again for the info. Lookin' forward to goin' shopping.

Jim
Analog receivers are real good for C-Band all the time....I'm more of a KU band weekend warrior :)

cool, i've located an old analog receiver, not sure if it works or not, guess i'll just have to pull it out this weekend and see.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)