Uses for "DEAD" HR22?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AmericanZ28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Central California
I bought a used HR22 at a yard sale for $15 hoping the RID would be clear. Not surprisingly, it wasn't, and therefor could not be "ACTIVATED" because of outstanding balances with the former owner. Other than taking out the 320GB Hard Drive, is there anything else I can use use it for? Is there any way of saving the videos on the HD by hooking it up to my computer and converting it over to DVDs?

Directv offered to send me a "Recovery Kit" to send them the "USELESS" receiver back for them to refurbish and profit from it, but seeing how invested $15, I figured I would atleast get a hard drive out of it and trash the rest. Any suggestions?

They did not want to give you anything for the receiver, not even a $10 or $15 or something off your bill? I would think that they would offer at least something to get some receivers back if they are going to refurbish and reuse them.

Warm up some tortillas and make some great tacos thats for sure

The hard drive was worth the 15 dollars. The problem with most bargain DTV boxes are they have big balances on them. I got a direct receiver from a friend that got it from a neighbor that was moving. When I called direct they said to use it it would cost $350.00 to clear the account. They are so stupid since if they cleared the boxes and allowed a new subscription they may get more customers. But I guess they would rather just fill up the landfills with more good working junk.

Hemi - Congrats on 10k

Next time you look at one somewhere (or even online), take the cell phone, call 800-DIRECTV, and give them the RID, ask if it is free to activate or if the receiver is leased / balance due.

That will make your shopping easier, and reduce your access to boat anchors.

Thanks guys! Yeah, the most they offered was a postage paid box right back to them. :confused: I pulled the hard drive (320GB Western Digital) and tossed the rest. Do these things come with a RF remote receiver built in? There was what appeared to be an RF wire/antenna plugged into the main board.

Thanks guys! Yeah, the most they offered was a postage paid box right back to them. :confused: I pulled the hard drive (320GB Western Digital) and tossed the rest. Do these things come with a RF remote receiver built in? There was what appeared to be an RF wire/antenna plugged into the main board.
So are you saying D* lies about the size of their Hard drive in the HR22 ?
Because D* claims the HR22-23 have 500GB and the HR20-21 have 320 GB.

Are you sure you have a HR22?

"DirecTV Plus HD DVR (HR22-100)" Specifications

DirecTV

Max. Recording Hour

400 Hours

Model No.

HR22-100

Original MSRP

$199.99

Description

The DirecTV Plus HD DVR combines a high definition capable DirecTV receiver and digital video record in one integrated unit. The HR22-100 model contains two tuners and a 500GB hard drive which allows users to record up to 100 hours of HD television and 400 hours of standard definition television. The HR22-100 is fully compatible with DirecTV's MPEG-4 HD broadcasts and supports Dolby 5.1 broadcasts.

The DirecTV Plus HD DVR also includes an ethernet port and network card which enables several features including the ability to stream TV shows to PCs within a home network via Direct2PC, the ability to download "DirecTV On Demand" shows via the Internet, and the ability to stream media such as pictures and video from PCs to your TV..

Unlike DirecTV's HR20 model, the HR22 does not include tuners for receiving high definition broadcasts over-the-air (OTA).

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts