Using 2 HICs?

gregleg

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I have 2 Hoppers, 2 Joey's, and a Hopper Internet Connector. The run to the "Mancave" Hopper happens to pass through my network room (really the laundry room in the basement with a wiring cabinet :) ), so I just put the HIC in there with a tap. I have an older house, using CAT5 to run from the network room to both offices and the mancave. I'm using an ethernet-over-power solution to get internet to the living room and sunroom for the Roku's (since our house has thick walls that render WiFi only semi-reliable).

The sunroom ethernet-over-power isn't terribly stable, though, since that's an addition which is on a different main circuit (I'm frankly amazed it ever works at all :) ). However, the sunroom IS where Hopper #2 lives. So, I was wondering, if I were to get another HIC and tap, could I use Dish's Moca to bridge my personal LAN into the sunroom (putting the new sunroom HIC and the Roku on a switch)? Has anyone tried this? I'm hesitant to spend the money to try unless there's a reasonable chance it'll work.

I already tried the obvious-but-didn't-expect-it-to-work approach of just enabling bridging on the sunroom Hopper and putting it on a switch with the Roku, thinking that maybe, just maybe, it would bridge the Roku to the HIC to my router. Naturally it didn't work and made the entire H/J system unstable, so I quickly undid that :)

Not for what I want to do. I have one HIC, which bridges my broadband into the MOCA for the Hoppers and Joeys to see. That works perfectly. What I want to do is use another HIC in the sunroom to bridge from the MOCA back into another mini-LAN in the sunroom for the Roku to use.

gregleg said:
I have 2 Hoppers, 2 Joey's, and a Hopper Internet Connector. The run to the "Mancave" Hopper happens to pass through my network room (really the laundry room in the basement with a wiring cabinet :) ), so I just put the HIC in there with a tap. I have an older house, using CAT5 to run from the network room to both offices and the mancave. I'm using an ethernet-over-power solution to get internet to the living room and sunroom for the Roku's (since our house has thick walls that render WiFi only semi-reliable).

The sunroom ethernet-over-power isn't terribly stable, though, since that's an addition which is on a different main circuit (I'm frankly amazed it ever works at all :) ). However, the sunroom IS where Hopper #2 lives. So, I was wondering, if I were to get another HIC and tap, could I use Dish's Moca to bridge my personal LAN into the sunroom (putting the new sunroom HIC and the Roku on a switch)? Has anyone tried this? I'm hesitant to spend the money to try unless there's a reasonable chance it'll work.

I already tried the obvious-but-didn't-expect-it-to-work approach of just enabling bridging on the sunroom Hopper and putting it on a switch with the Roku, thinking that maybe, just maybe, it would bridge the Roku to the HIC to my router. Naturally it didn't work and made the entire H/J system unstable, so I quickly undid that :)

I have a 2H/4J system from the initial start. At first we had no integration between Hoppers, so you had to put a network connection at each Hopper.
On one of my Hoppers I had no Cat5/6 cables and it was a very hard pull for cables due to plumbing in walls. But I had two extra RG6 cables, so I used two HIC boxes to extend my Ethernet. (Ethernet->HIC->RG6 COAX->HIC->Ethernet ) . It works great and I'm getting around 6mb through the connection. I am currently using the Ethernet connection for a Joey test and other projects. This is a great way to extend your network if you don't want to run extra Cat5/6 cables, and have extra Coax cables.