Using 2 inputs for DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mmcgill3

Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
I'm sure this is very simple, but I can't figure it out. Have had a HD DVR for 3 years but only one input line. Finally getting around to hooking up the second input line. Did a sattelite check on system 1 and system 2, both have good sattelite strength.

Question is how do I differentiate between input 1 and input 2? To watch on one and record on the other? Any help would be appreciated.

It automatically figures it out - you don't need to worry about it, other than if you try to record or watch live, more than 2 channels at once. If you do, you'll get a on-screen warning.

Another simple question.

Just got a DVR HD...Only have access to one line

I do not care about being able to record 2 seperate channels. Which Satallite port should i put the line into. Right now I have it in Port 2. I have a picture, but my guide is not updating. WhenI had it in #1, the guide updated, but no picture. Any suggestions?

It should be port 1 - did you trying rebooting the DVR AFTER you moved changed the coax?
When it reboots, it should automatically figure out there is only 1 line & work properly.

I did try to reboot and nothing. Is there any chance the line coming in is not connected to the correct port at the sat dish?

Before I got this new box, I had a regular DVR hooked up. I am going to try and keep it in SAT #2 port, and hook up a phone line. Hoping that this keeps the Guide updated

Also, if only one line coming in...do I need the connector thing that comes with the box. Can''t recall what it is called, but the receiver came with 2 of them

ALL the ports on the dish are identical, so that doesn't matter.
Unless your receiver is an HR23, YES you MUST use the BBC - even on a single port! (little brown or black box with the stubby coax line)

hi, I am new to this forum. My question is I had two tvs hooked up when I originally got dish network . I loaned a tv out. then I moved. I understood the technician was wiring the DVR for 2 TVs as I knew I would eventually get the one I loned back. Well now I have it back but cannot figure out if things are wired for 2 tvs. Originally there was a blue and red splitters, well they are in the box and the technicial used one splitter that just says sat 1 and sat 2. Can anyone help me?

hi, I am new to this forum. My question is I had two tvs hooked up when I originally got dish network . I loaned a tv out. then I moved. I understood the technician was wiring the DVR for 2 TVs as I knew I would eventually get the one I loned back. Well now I have it back but cannot figure out if things are wired for 2 tvs. Originally there was a blue and red splitters, well they are in the box and the technicial used one splitter that just says sat 1 and sat 2. Can anyone help me?
First, we need to establish whether you're currently subscribing to DISH Network or DIRECTV (or both).

DIRECTV DVRs generally don't support two TVs. You can connect them to two or more televisions, but no matter how many TVs you have connected, you can only watch one program at a time.

If you're currently a DISH Network subscriber, start a new thread regarding your problem to the DISH Network Technical Discussions forum. The extensive background information about a bygone installation doesn't add much to the understanding of your current problem.

I did try to reboot and nothing. Is there any chance the line coming in is not connected to the correct port at the sat dish?

Before I got this new box, I had a regular DVR hooked up. I am going to try and keep it in SAT #2 port, and hook up a phone line. Hoping that this keeps the Guide updated

The Phone line will not help with the guide issue, the guide is updated thru the datastream, not the phone line. (many years ago it was).

What trouble are you having with the guide, in usually takes a hour or so to populate more than a few days worth and 24hrs to fully populate (13-14 days)

You can't use the sat 2 port on its own. The DVR takes the guide data from the sat 1 port signal. You MUST connect the sat 1 port.

The only way of getting away with connecting to only 1 sat port and getting the full functions of your receiver is if you have a SWM capable HD DVR and are using a SlimLine dish with SWM capabilities

Status
Please reply by conversation.