Using a huge c-Band dish to go international

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ricouzuki

Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Hey guys my first post.

Just a quick question thats been on my mind for many months. I dont own a c-band dish so what im asking is just theory. I did some research on the footprint of many different Ku band satellites around the world and noticed that many of the encrypted satellites that are not in the US do not have a footprint in the US. Some website stated that any satellite not having a footprint over the US cannot be accessed in the US. Now I dont know if there are any free C-BAND channels in places like the UK but lets pretend that there are. Would a huge dish like the one in the following link be able to reach any satellites? Are there any dishes that you can buy that are capable of viewing satellites in Europe or how about Asia or the middle east? Since I dont actually own a satellite and dont really plan to buy one this is really just theoretical. I would love to hear any stories of people receiving free C-Band or Ku band signals from places far far away.

This guy has some BIG dishes but they dont really look like the C-Band dishes that ive seen so far are they C-BAND dishes??

Here is the link I am talking about.

Luis' Dish 500 Setup in Puerto Rico

Thanks for reading!!!

Satellite 101

I've seen that picture before. It's quite amazing.
But all he is doing is legally subscribing to Dish Network satellite service.
He's pretty far out of the main footprint , so that's why he needs the big dishes.
Strictly circular Ku band, just like all of us in the US with our 20" subscription dishes.
Folks in Alaska also have large dishes like those, to get the Dish subscription channels

As to programming from around the world, at least on Ku, you might look at this list, which gives programming by language.
Another good list for both Ku and C-band, is The List, hosted right here on the forum.
Then, there are a couple of lists for both Ku and C-band by Global-CM.
All the programming shown, is delivered to North America viewers.

To determine which birds you can see from your location, input your city/state, zip/postal code, or longitude and latitude into any of these satellite finder programs.
Satellites which are 10º above the horizon might be viewable.
Those 20º above the horizon most likely are viewable.
Any below zero elevation are on the wrong side of the planet, and you cannot get them.

@ the list
@ GeoSatFinder
@ Sadoun

Of course, the fact that you can see the satellite is only half the battle.
It must be sending signals in your direction.
For that, you might want to consult the coverage maps on Lyngsat.

Thanks for your reply,

So I guess this means that any satellite below the horizon is not viewable. Lets say a satellite such as Astra 1 or Astra 2. I am in Central New Jersey so since I think that satellite is below the horizon, It dosent matter what size dish I have I would not be able to communicate with that satellite or satellites around those?

here is a picture of what your trying to do :
20qhzbl.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.