Using a VIP211 as a DVR?

Was just on the phone with Tech dude who told me that you will now be able to use an External Hard drive ranging in size from (MIN) 40 GB up to (Max) 750 GB.

I believe the limit is 6 receivers so theoretically you could have 12 tuners max.
Quick question How many receivers will Dish lease me? I have a 622 and a 522, and recently called about getting a 211 for the new HD set I have in my br I was told the max number of tuners allowed is 4 and that i would have to purchace the 211 outright Is this really the case?

Quick question How many receivers will Dish lease me? I have a 622 and a 522, and recently called about getting a 211 for the new HD set I have in my br I was told the max number of tuners allowed is 4 and that i would have to purchace the 211 outright Is this really the case?

I think so. Max of 4 tuners for leased receivers.

Official limit is 4 leased tuners, 6 total tuners. There are people here who have exemptions. Personally, I don't understand these limits. If you want to give Dish more money, why do they not want to take it?

Official limit is 4 leased tuners, 6 total tuners. There are people here who have exemptions. Personally, I don't understand these limits. If you want to give Dish more money, why do they not want to take it?

The four tuner rule is what they a currently holding to for new customers.

Those with more tuners I am sure are also more likely targets for an audit. They want to make sure you aren't adding receivers to your account for your relatives and friends.

4 leased is correct, but it is 6 receivers, or up to 12 tuners. We have a number of customers with more than 6 tuners, a few with 12 tuners.

What I would like to see would be the ability to network the receivers together so the 211 or 222 could access the 622/722 and act like a 3rd and/or 4th tuner. Then recordings could be watched from any location.

Moving Said Hard Drives around

If I have two 211's, then could I record on one and bring the hard drive to the other reciever and play it back?

I have two 211's and two 811's. I already have a 500gig hard drive so I'd like to wipe it and make use of this. I've already been denied and upgrade to a DVR as I upgraded to the 211's this year already(have to wait till Feb.)

Anyone doing this?

Also since the drive then is formated to a Linux file system, could you see the video on a computer with Linux installed?

Thanks,
Sheff

If I have two 211's, then could I record on one and bring the hard drive to the other reciever and play it back?

I have two 211's and two 811's. I already have a 500gig hard drive so I'd like to wipe it and make use of this. I've already been denied and upgrade to a DVR as I upgraded to the 211's this year already(have to wait till Feb.)

Anyone doing this?

Also since the drive then is formated to a Linux file system, could you see the video on a computer with Linux installed?

Thanks,
Sheff
No one is doing this because the capability will not be launched until after the first of next year.

I haven't read through all of these posts, sorry, Last I heard this feature was supposed to available THIS DECEMBER.... Has that been moved back?

I haven't read through all of these posts, sorry, Last I heard this feature was supposed to available THIS DECEMBER.... Has that been moved back?

December was the target month back during the summer for this. Looks like it will be sometime after the first of the year.

This question is a bit off topic, but it is a question about recording. How compatable are DVD recorders with Hard Drives with Dish Networks receivers? If I was to purchase one, would I be able to record the same shows that I would with the VIP211 (with DVR Capabilities)? I am aware that most DVD Recorders with HDD do not have a digital receiver, but I would like to hook it up to the 211 and record. Is that a good idea?

But you've paid less for the ViP211 to begin with.

Anyway, I think they'll pursue it, because many folks may have both a ViP622/722 and a ViP211.

Yeah, and you've supplied your own hard drive, which was supposedly the excuse used for the DVR fee for all the new DVRs with the really big hard drives. Since you've supplied your own hard drive, you should be exempt from the DVR fee since the excuse for imposing it in the first place was to pay for the cost of the larger hard drives.

Last edited:
December was the target month back during the summer for this. Looks like it will be sometime after the first of the year.

We are getting close to the first of the year.....Any updates on this rolling out?
Now is the best time to buy a 500GB External Hard Drive.
Best Buy has one for $149.00 (WD 500 GB)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts