Using a VIP211 as a DVR?

My opinion. Two ways they could do this. Chances are they will do neither but that's the way it goes.

1. full DVR functionality. This would likely require the drive to be partitioned similarly to the way the internal drive is partitioned on the DVRs including all the files needed to keep track of recording schedules, storage of extended EPG, and a buffer for the tuner(s). Therefore, it would also likely not be compatible with EHD storage as used by the DVRs. This would of course incur a DVR fee.
2. playback and management only, of content recorded previously from a 622/722 DVR to the EHD. This by definition would be compatibile with the existing format and would allow the events recorded on the DVR to be viewed at any ViP receiver in the house that you decide to plug the drive into. Since no additional DVR functionality exists, i.e. no recording from the attached non-DVR receiver, no additional DVR fee beyond what you're already paying on the receivers that are capable of recording.

Of course, Dish will probably choose a third option.
3. something without full DVR functionality, and also without compatibility with the existing DVRs, and which carries a monthly "because we can charge it and people will pay" fee.

It's my understanding that this is nothing more than a software download needed in a VIP211 to convert it to a DVR, the remote already has the DVR buttons, then if you add a External Hard Drive via USB 2.0 you have your storage device.

Now is the best time to buy a 500GB External Hard Drive.
Best Buy has one for $149.00 (WD 500 GB)

I certainly can't recommend that one. My WD mybook 500 died on me, I lost a huge amount of programming.

I'll do some more reading, I thought I read that somewhere.
What would be the benefit of it otherwise?
It is still a single tuner receiver.
No PIP, plus we have to buy our own storage devise.

So, let me see if I've got this straight:

Adding an external USB hard drive to a ViP211 has been announced. (Availability date?)

With the drive, a ViP211 has full DVR functionality.

The fee is $40 one time charge per household. (So if you have a ViP211 and a ViP622/722, and you want external drives on both, you only have to pay one fee?)

The drives are currently locked to the box, but you will be able to move them between boxes in the future. (Now? When??)

Please correct and/or add if you have more information.

So with the DVR kit, will the 211 be able to record off the dish and off OTA simultaneously? I can't tell from the press reports.

So with the DVR kit, will the 211 be able to record off the dish and off OTA simultaneously? I can't tell from the press reports.
The press reports says that you can record 2 programs at once. Since the only tuners are 1 satellite & 1 OTA, I'm assuming it means 1 Sat & 1 OTA program can be recorded at the same time, but not 2 of one type.

So, let me see if I've got this straight:

Adding an external USB hard drive to a ViP211 has been announced. (Availability date?)

With the drive, a ViP211 has full DVR functionality.

The fee is $40 one time charge per household. (So if you have a ViP211 and a ViP622/722, and you want external drives on both, you only have to pay one fee?)

The drives are currently locked to the box, but you will be able to move them between boxes in the future. (Now? When??)

Please correct and/or add if you have more information.

I hope this is true, I already have external HD activated, meaning additional HDDVR no fee in the near future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)