Using a VIP211 as a DVR?

In one of the Chats they discussed this - I think it is now late July. They also discussed a $49.99 fee to add the DVR feature to your 211.

Has anyone heard any more on this? The last post said late July which, if you've read through the thread, is the latest of pushed back dates. Wondering if people 'in the know' have heard anything new on the feature.

Also wondering if E* plans to do the same for the VIP222. Any update at that?

Lastly, the previous post mentioned and activation fee. If you have a VIP622 or VIP722 and already paid the 'one' time' external whole house activation fee, will you have to pay the fee again? DVR fees?

Man, I wish!

I am beginning to get very skeptical on this ever seeing the light of day. However, I do find it very interesting that one of the vendors I have done business with in the past claims the 211 is capable of 1080p VOD. I don't see how it can without a hard drive, but he passed along assurances from Mark (Jackson, I assume) that this is the case. I'm hoping this is an indication that the DVR support is coming.

I recently emailed the CEO office on another matter and in my email I also asked when the DVR function was going to be added to the 211 & 222. When my contact got back to me he said that the technical department told him that they were shooting for an October release for the 222 and a November release for the 211.

I emailed back and asked him what year but I haven't gotten a response back yet.

That's interesting. If I recall correctly, they previously had the 211 slated for the update ahead of the 222.

As long as it has taken to add this feature (which should be a relatively simple porting of code from other receivers) leads me to believe that Dish either: 1) not actively pursuing this feature due to disinterest on their part, or 2) they have not employed sufficient coders to accomplish this task. Either way, it does not bode well for the 211/222 receivers.

That's interesting. If I recall correctly, they previously had the 211 slated for the update ahead of the 222.

As long as it has taken to add this feature (which should be a relatively simple porting of code from other receivers) leads me to believe that Dish either: 1) not actively pursuing this feature due to disinterest on their part, or 2) they have not employed sufficient coders to accomplish this task. Either way, it does not bode well for the 211/222 receivers.

I don't believe it's possible that code is holding up this feature.

I'm certain that the holdup is in the executive suite.

Maybe lawyers who fear blow-back from content providers who think their copywrite'd material will end up in the "napster" universe.

Or they have already been put on notice that the encryption had better be super hack proof and this means Charlie has to cough up serious do-ray-me to buy license some big time encryption system.

Or marketing has issues when possible loss of sales of DVRs.

Or support wants more manpower to handle the additional call volume.

Or some other unimaginable inane reason.

I don't believe it's possible that code is holding up this feature.

I'm certain that the holdup is in the executive suite.

Maybe lawyers who fear blow-back from content providers who think their copywrite'd material will end up in the "napster" universe.

Or they have already been put on notice that the encryption had better be super hack proof and this means Charlie has to cough up serious do-ray-me to buy license some big time encryption system.

Or marketing has issues when possible loss of sales of DVRs.
My guess is that it would canibalize DVR sales. Encription isn't a concern, otherwise we wouldn't see external HDD's on the 622/722.

How many DVR's do they actually sell though? Most customers are leasing equipment, and with the price to buy them I don't think they are selling many. So I don't think that is an issue. It is just not a priority project.

I don't think content dispersal is an issue either because DirecTV is beta testing the ability to transfer HD video to your PC, just like TiVo and DirecTiVo have done for years.

I don't think content dispersal is an issue either because DirecTV is beta testing the ability to transfer HD video to your PC, just like TiVo and DirecTiVo have done for years.
Whoa there.

Are you saying there is a device from Direct or TiVo in service right now that puts HD program material on a PC? I could believe SD but HD, not so much.

What is the point of this device? Can the PC view the material or is the PC just a storage device for secure encrypted data?

Final point: There is a difference between demonstrating a technology via beta testing and actually selling it to the public. The Vip211 EHD is exhibit A. Folks here have seen it run at some show or another.

Both the Tivo HD and TiVo Series 3 can transmit HD material to a PC via ethernet. They've been doing it for several years. It's called TiVo to Go and it limits the download to the users account (multimedia access key must match).

It is not satellite, but it can be cable received HD, and, yes, DirecTV is beta testing moving Satellite HD programing to your PC, probably with a similar access key. Dish does similar with multiple Vip 622/612/722 receivers and their EHD. Dish could publish an app for your computer that could accept the Dish home address key or whatever they call it and allow you to read the EHD with your PC - not really a difficult project.

DRM does apply, of course.

If I understand the essence of these TiVo options, they allow you to use a PC as a storage device and there is a file viewer that lets you view but not unlock the file.

Are these setups capable of putting the program back onto the DVR like Dish EHDs?

You can download to your PC, edit content (remove commercials, etc) and either put it back on the TiVo to play or view it on your PC. There are also options to convert the file for use on MP3 players, etc. You can also burn the content to DVD's, now sure if Blu-Ray is supported yet.

Whoa there.

Are you saying there is a device from Direct or TiVo in service right now that puts HD program material on a PC? I could believe SD but HD, not so much.

What is the point of this device? Can the PC view the material or is the PC just a storage device for secure encrypted data?

Final point: There is a difference between demonstrating a technology via beta testing and actually selling it to the public. The Vip211 EHD is exhibit A. Folks here have seen it run at some show or another.

Like the R5000-HD? That does all of that, doesn't it? I would imagine that would be a pretty neat setup with a media center PC.

Some technology companies maintain a tight wrap on new products and new technologies until they are announced and/or production has started. Other companies demo and promise technologies months and years in advance of actually releasing them and sometimes never deliver a product to the customer. Always be wary of the latter as you get let down more often than not.

I won't hold my breath waiting for my 211s to become DVRs anytime soon. However, this would be such a cool addition for us 211/222 owners so, I do hope they deliver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)