Using DECA for streaming media.....can it be done?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No MKV file should stress a 100Mbps connection. The most I have seen a video file use up is about 30-35 Mbps. I still haven't been able to truly test the bandwidth of the DECA cloud.

No MKV file should stress a 100Mbps connection. The most I have seen a video file use up is about 30-35 Mbps. I still haven't been able to truly test the bandwidth of the DECA cloud.

Right. Blu-ray maxes out at 53.95 Mbit/s (raw data) so there is no way a MKV of a blu-ray would surpass that.

Of course, depending on the network setup, it could stress the processor on the router depending on the complexity of the network rules set (i.e. multi layer QOS, etc.)

After rebooting all routers, switches, and DECAs everything worked fine. I tried a 12gb mkv on my WDTV and there was some stuttering. .

I just tried an MKV (of a DVD running at about 4-5 Mbit/s) and I could not get audio. It told me on screen that no audio was available. Honestly, I use my Oppo-93 for watching my cached DVD collection (because of the Kyoto-G2 upscaling which basically turns it into HD) but it would be nice to be able to stream to the other room away from the BDP. Anyone else had audio issues with MKV files?

p.s. I'm using Serviio to do the transcoding.
p.s.s. The MKV files work fine on the Oppo with audio. I have two HR24s.

Last edited:
I finally tested the DECA network. I had one computer plugged directly into the 4port 100Mbps router. The other PC was plugged into a DECA in the living room. Transferring large files using windows file sharing (not the fastest protocol) resulted in upstream transfers from PC @DECA of 88-92 Mbps (normal) and downstream transfers of 88-92 Mbps. So it does indeed appear that the DECA cloud is more than fast enough to saturate and completely utilize the 100Mbps ports on the DECAs.

badtlc,
Thank you very much for taking the time to actually test this concept. I was blasted on another thread for suggesting that it should work since the DECAs only convert twisted pair signals to coax. Your test proves it works and provides some speeds. I am equally sure that D* does not want folks using this setup since it could cause some issues with their internal coax network communications. But, it was nice to see that conceptually it does work.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.