Using Directv or Dish Net dish for FTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

badpistacio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Monterey, CA
I did a search on this and saw some posts about using a Dish 500 (?) but nothing that's clear to this newbie.

Is it possible to use an oval Directv dish and a round Dish Network dish as extra FTA dishes? I'm assuming I'd have to replace the LNBFs, right?

Thanks.

Yes you can use the Dish with the proper LNB.
Keep in mind that they may not have reliable reception due to the smaller size.

Welcome to Satelliteguys! Nice to meet you!......

I'm assuming I'd have to replace the LNBFs, right?
Yes, most FTA would require a linear LNB. Our gold sponsors can help you with that if you do not have any.

Is it possible to use an oval Directv dish and a round Dish Network dish as extra FTA dishes?
Yes, It's very possible. There are some satellites that have strong transponders.

What you'll find, is a few members bragging that they got particularly hot transponders on some of the satellites.
Doesn't mean they got everything on every satellite.
In other words, they knew what they were looking for and made it appear easy. :)

I did it some years ago on an old DirecTV Phase III dish (about 20") to get Whitesprings.
Sadly, Whitesprings is gone, but in its day, it was quite easy to get, and was the only signal on that bird.
So, if you were a lover of WS, you could get it on a freebie fixed dish, and not have to motor your main dish over to it.

For a beginner who wants to try signals from every satellite, I would recommend a recycled Primestar, or the traditional 36 inch dish.
Combined with a decent LNBf, you'll get the full flavor of FTA, not just the highlights. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)