Using existing coax for directv and cable interver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Khurram

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
***title should say cable internet***
So I've just moved into a new rental duplex which is prewired with single coax drop to each room. There is no central box however in the unit itself.
The main line is in the basement storage area and apparently there is one main feed down there for all 8 duplexes on the property from where it then splits into the individual units.

I'm having optimum come by today to hook up the cable Internet service and they will place the router in the second bedroom where there will be no tv in.

I have my swm box with me that I brought from my previous apartment.

Will it be possible to have one main coax coming from the dish into the swm an then distribute that to the already existing coax drops in
the main lounge and master bedroom?

I'm trying to avoid having to run a really long coax from the dish through the living room, upnthr stairs, through the hallway and then finally to the bedroom. Especially because I would not be able to run it through the walls because this is a rental.

Any suggestions?

I did something similar when I had Dish network, but used it for clear QAM instead of cable internet. If you use MRV I was told you cannot diplex with that. So if you have MRV you won't be able to. Otherwise, not sure what frequency internet runs at instead of clear QAM.

If there's no central splitter, you're pretty much screwed.

DIRECTV needs to use their approved splitters and if the existing ones aren't readily replaced, they're going to have to install an independent cabling system.

If the cables were home run, you could connect the CATV feed directly to the Internet room and connect the rest of the cables to a DIRECTV splitter.

Make sure you understand your rights with respect to drilling holes through the inside and outside walls.

I did something similar when I had Dish network, but used it for clear QAM instead of cable internet.
Diplexing is not an option with SWiM. For reasons that few understand and even fewer appreciate, DIRECTV chose to put the SWiM control channel down below VHF (33-40MHz) while the rest of the bandwidth is up above UHF (950-1800MHz). Diplexers will also kill any hopes of using DECA

Hmm. Well there is a splitter but it's down in the central basement where there ia storage for all the units.

Should I call up the movers connection and have them
come take a look. If it won't work an I refuse installation?

I'm trying to find a local installer directly here in 06901 to come take a look and see exactly what I need.

I don't need the MRV option.

Every local number I try to get ends up linking me to some central location which is not in my area.

So I saw that I could run one coax from the dish on the balcony to living room without a problem. Then the master bedroom is directly above the balcony so I could run a coax outdoors along the side and into the master bedroom.

Here's the question: when they bring in a coax from outside do they have to drill a hole in the wall from outside or do they bring it in through a window? If they bring it in through a window how do you close the window then?

Can they make a small hole in the frame of the window? And are these holes where ever they may be repairable?

Installers want to drill holes. That's why I suggested you familiarize yourself with the rules regarding drilling holes.

Flat cables may not be up to the power requirements of the SWiM LNB assembly unless you can install the power inserter outdoors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts