Using existing rg59

The apartment is above a 3 bay self-service carwash, I was reluctant till just recently to have someone live in the apartment.

Was just using for storage.

I always thought the noise from the wash would be enough to keep anyone from renting it, plus I didn't want to go through the bs of being a landlord, it is a bit noisy in the bedroom when all three bays are running.
I'd still like to see the pictures! :D

I thought Dish officially will not install flat cable. In fact, I think I am certain of this. I think Dish is clear on flat cables: NO! NEVER! Fires! Dish doesn't want the liability. However, there are contractors who have installed flat cable, and several have caught fire. If you are a retailer, then please call Dish tech/engineering support and get the official word on flat cable and settle this once and for all of us mere peasants. I know what the answer will be:).l

In house Dish Network installers carry flat cable on their vans and although not a preferred method it is allowable.

The issue with flat cable is a door or window shutting on it will eventually cause it to fail. Dish wants an install to last 10 to 15 years. Many installers will leave an extra flat cable for the customer to replace when it wears out.

I have DishPRO, RG6 from lnbs to distributuon center then 4 RG-59 runs through walls when house was built in 1994. Runs are 75' or longer. I you want to take a chance, add 5-6' stubs of RG-6 at each end of each run.

What's the point of the stubs? Is it to fool the installer, or fool the signal? The latter will not work.

Just for information. When Dish upgraded me to the Hoppers they replaced all the cable (and DISH) from the dish to the Duo node with the 3ghz RG6. To each of the hoppers they refused to use any of my existing wiring which is also RG6 (but not marked 3ghz) and also lower loss, fatter Quad Shield RG-6. So I gave up and had them run new cable to 2 Hoppers.

One of which is in my Family room and is ok.

The other I just told them to put it in the damn Den even though I wanted it to replace the 622 which was in in the Master BedRoom. So they ran that cable, were nicely smug and satisfied, but I was not, and they left.

The next day I moved the Hopper that was in the Den to the MBR using the RG-6 Quad Shield cable and it works perfectly including all the single strengths on all tuners including Tuner 3. I then swapped cables and put the Joey that they put in the MBR in the Den in now the over configured Den new RG-6.

So yes, Hoppers will run just fine as long as the run from the dish to the node is the newer cable. I'd make a bet I could also use the other cable in the wall which is the regular RG-6 and bet the Hopper will also run just fine. But it's running on the Quad Shield so I now have it configured the way I originally wanted it.

When I started installing Cband decades ago the story was that RG6 could never carry the signals we demand it does now. RG6 was said to be limited to under 1000 mhz. Well things sure have changed. You should have seen the cable and connectors that we had to use from an old LNB to the downconverter module. It was as thick as most large mens thumbs. Now we toss some RG6 between LNBFs and receivers and don't think much about it. Times have changed.

That's what I told the installers, they told me (basically) that I was full of s--t! They were royal PITA's and condescending.
Dish says that you are supposed to use 3Ghz RG6.

Will other RG6 work, sure, and probably never have an issue. But Dish makes their techs use 3Ghz cable to Hoppers. They were just doing what was required of them.

Granted some techs will ignore that rule when they please, but that's how it is supposed to be done "by the book".

It depends on the receiver being installed. For the Hopper receiver, cable from the node to the Hopper must be 3ghz rated since it uses frequency range up to 2850mhz. Any other receiver will work fine on ordinary rg6 which is normally 2200mhz rated. I would advise against using rg-59 or Belden 1ghz rg6 cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)