Using Hopper w/ RG59 cable

I had RG6, but not 3 GHz rated and had a lot of issues. I can't imagine RG59 working at all. Contractor who Dish sent out to do the installation told me that my RG6 would work fine. When the problems occurred, Dish sent one of their installers out. Once he checked the impedance on the cable he knew immediately that the problem was the RG6. He ran all new 3GHz rated cable between the dish, solo node and Hopper. Problems went away. My existing RG6 cabling between the solo node and Joey's is sufficient and didn't need to be changed out.

I will refuse an install if they only have RG59. I'm not just saying Hopper installs either, I mean all installs.

Last edited:
My bedroom Hopper is on 20 + year Belden RG6 and a white barrel wall plate. Works fine. One of these days I'm gonna run a temporary piece of RG-59 in its place and see what happens.

Maybe it all boils down to the quality of the cable and proper installation of the connectors.

If possible, yes, but for a fee. We are not going to run all new cable in a customer's house for free and in some cases it's not all that possible.
Yeah I know.. So is it just different being a retail operation? I'm a sub, but rewiring cable to meet specs is a standard requirement. And to charge for that??!!! I don't think there's any way I'd get away with that.

What do you do when a cust refuses to pay? Will dish come down on you? Or can/do you just send that workorder to IHS?

Yeah I know.. So is it just different being a retail operation? I'm a sub, but rewiring cable to meet specs is a standard requirement. And to charge for that??!!! I don't think there's any way I'd get away with that.

What do you do when a cust refuses to pay? Will dish come down on you? Or can/do you just send that workorder to IHS?

As a retailer I can do whatever jobs I want to do. I'm not required to do any installs if I don't want to but then I won't make much money. Part of my job is to decide what are good jobs and what are trouble jobs. This particular job was going to require my installer to spend extra time and extra cable that he pays for out of his pocket. This expense needs to be reimbursed and it is the customers responsibility to pay that it brought up to them before the install.

If you see the the business rules or even the contract the customer signs it states that the promotion they are signing up for includes free standard installation. Standard is the key word here. Basically a standard installation includes mounting the dish antenna to the house and running cables from that dish antenna to the receivers we install. It does not include any kind of customer work or mirroring to extra TVs. It also does not include installing a pole in the yard or trenching cable.

As a retailer I can choose to include whatever I feel reasonable. Sometimes I just leave it up to my installer. If mirroring a third TV was not problem for him or he mounted a pole right next to the house which didn't require extra labor then my installer will not charge for it. In a case like the last install we turned down it was to benefit both my business and the customer. The customer did not want to pay extra for rewiring their house and I was not going to install their system using the existing RG59. It may have worked for a while but it would have caused them problems in the future and they would not have been happy with their service. Not only would they be unhappy but they would be under contract and I would be in danger of getting a charge back.

As a retailer I can do whatever jobs I want to do. I'm not required to do any installs if I don't want to but then I won't make much money. Part of my job is to decide what are good jobs and what are trouble jobs. This particular job was going to require my installer to spend extra time and extra cable that he pays for out of his pocket. This expense needs to be reimbursed and it is the customers responsibility to pay that it brought up to them before the install.

If you see the the business rules or even the contract the customer signs it states that the promotion they are signing up for includes free standard installation. Standard is the key word here. Basically a standard installation includes mounting the dish antenna to the house and running cables from that dish antenna to the receivers we install. It does not include any kind of customer work or mirroring to extra TVs. It also does not include installing a pole in the yard or trenching cable.

As a retailer I can choose to include whatever I feel reasonable. Sometimes I just leave it up to my installer. If mirroring a third TV was not problem for him or he mounted a pole right next to the house which didn't require extra labor then my installer will not charge for it. In a case like the last install we turned down it was to benefit both my business and the customer. The customer did not want to pay extra for rewiring their house and I was not going to install their system using the existing RG59. It may have worked for a while but it would have caused them problems in the future and they would not have been happy with their service. Not only would they be unhappy but they would be under contract and I would be in danger of getting a charge back.
So what happens to that workorder? Does it just get canceled out and then the cust has to call dish to set one up? And yeah I do know that if a customer cancels service before their contract is up, the retailer gets back charged the full amount, then it's up to you to go get all the equipment back... Right?

So what happens to that workorder? Does it just get canceled out and then the cust has to call dish to set one up? And yeah I do know that if a customer cancels service before their contract is up, the retailer gets back charged the full amount, then it's up to you to go get all the equipment back... Right?

Basically a work order is active for 30 days. If the account is not activated within 30 days it just cancels out and nothing happens. The customer can do whatever they want to get TV but they already now what will be involved to get the job done. I prefer not to put my company at risk to do that much work only to lose money. I have to pay my installer regardless if I get paid or not. If a customer cancels early I do not get any equipment back, the customer sends it back to Dish. I just get charged back the incentives they paid me for the job.

I've had the original Hopper and now the Hopper w Sling pretty much since they were released. My house is wired with RG59 and I have had no noticeable issues. During the original install, the installer told me about the RG59 cables and that the Hopper needs RG6. I asked that he perform the install and let's see if we have problems. Years later and still no issues.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've had the original Hopper and now the Hopper w Sling pretty much since they were released. My house is wired with RG59 and I have had no noticeable issues. During the original install, the installer told me about the RG59 cables and that the Hopper needs RG6. I asked that he perform the install and let's see if we have problems. Years later and still no issues.
Is this just a stand alone Hopper or part of a system with a Joey or two?

Is this just a stand alone Hopper or part of a system with a Joey or two?
This is a Hopper system with three Joeys connected. Has I said, I've had no issues at all with picture or functionality of the Hopper or any of the Joeys.

This is a Hopper system with three Joeys connected. Has I said, I've had no issues at all with picture or functionality of the Hopper or any of the Joeys.

So you have RG59 run from the LNB to the Node and then to the Hopper? I can't imagine he didn't run RG6 from the LNB to the Node. It is ok to use existing RG59 from the node to the Joeys though.

So you have RG59 run from the LNB to the Node and then to the Hopper? I can't imagine he didn't run RG6 from the LNB to the Node. It is ok to use existing RG59 from the node to the Joeys though.
The run from the LNB to the Node is RG6; that's outside and easy to get to. All interior wiring is RG59, so from the Node to the Hopper is RG59.

Once he checked the impedance on the cable he knew immediately that the problem was the RG6.
The impedance of RG59 and RG6, regardless of sweep rating, is the same: 75ohms. In terms of carrying RF signals, RG6 is usually rated better for higher frequencies but some RG59 configurations have comparable RF specs.

The ampacity (capacity to carry current) of solid copper center conductor equipped RG6 is greater so it transfers more DC power to the LNB assembly.

The typical problem is that because cable companies don't use the cable to transmit power, copper clad cable that is cheaper may be installed that doesn't have the ampacity that 100% copper cable does.

Reactions: stardust3

Your wiring is obviously an exception to the rule and you have been very lucky.

The cable run from the LNB to the node is usually easy for the installer to run RG-6, so it is usually done and required by Dish. I don't think "ampacity" comes into play with such small currents.

I feel RG-59 will work fine from the node. I'm not recommending people to use it, but i am positive it will work fine as in Burn49's setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts