Using my BUD for StarChoice

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Thanks to one of our forum members, I`ll soon be getting a StarChoice DSR505.
I would like to use my BUD which is a 10` Winegard equipped with Norsat 8115 &4106A. My question is can that combination be used to receive StarChoice programming? I`m not interested in HD and will be getting the minimum channel package to have access to the Detroit and Seattle locals. I know that the DSR505 switches voltages for the 2 lnbs. Will those voltages damage my Norsat 4106A?? Will it be necessary for me to switch transponders on my DSR922 to account for channels on transponders with different polarities on the DSR505?
I live in southern California and have a tile roof so putting up a StarChoice 60E or 75E dish involves a lot of work.

Last edited:
Hi Chuck...

The networks you want to receive are in HD on the F2 satellite. I am not sure (someone can correct me) but I think the guide data is only transmitted on F1 though. Can't speak about the lnbs but think Shaw just uses standard frequencies.

Take Care
Steve

If you are not interested in HD, you do not need a 505 - a 209 will be sufficient.

Your 920/922 must not have the ku band designators active for F1R or F2 - only the C Band - else you will have TDT overflow.

The 920/922 will control polarity on your Norsat. The Shaw Direct receiver must be electrically blocked from the polarotor. I forget the wiring diagram - but I'm sure some in the 4DTV forum here will know.

All in all, it's a pain in the butt - but doable. Separate ku dish is far easier to use.

Would one of the mods move this to the 4DTV forum so I can get the procedure to block the DSR505 from the polarotor.

Your 920/922 must not have the ku band designators active for F1R or F2 - only the C Band - else you will have TDT overflow.

The 920/922 will control polarity on your Norsat. The Shaw Direct receiver must be electrically blocked from the polarotor. I forget the wiring diagram - but I'm sure some in the 4DTV forum here will know.

Satellite Expert- I posted on the 4DTV forum and was advised that if I connect the 505 directly to my Ku (4106) and leave the 922 connected to C Band (8115) there would be no problem.
Please check out that post and reply in that forum. I don`t want to damage anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)