Using my Vip622 with Wingard Carryout Portable Dish

creativepart

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I have a house full of TVs and Dish Receivers. Currently we have 3 VIP622 DVR receivers (plus 2 non-dvr receivers). We spend about 3 months a year in our travel trailer each summer.

For the Trailer we have a Winegard Carryout automatic SAT dish. And the trailer has a dedicated SAT input and wiring.

The VIP622s are new this year. What I have been doing is taking an old leased 501 dvr from our house with us out on our summer trips. It worked fine. But now we have the 622s and things have changed slightly.

We've gone on two weekend trips this winter and taken the 622 but here's my questiion/problem.

The VIP622 has two inputs for 2 tuners. At home the dish/switch combines two signals on the cable and there is a splitter at the receiver to provide two discrete signals to the the two tuners in the 622. This allows us to record on one tuner while watching or recording on the other tuner at the same time.

But when we are in the RV, we have one cable running from the CarryOut Dish to the one input in our RV. So, we can only use one of the tuners in the 622. This is OK for a weekend, but for the 3 month trip we'd like to have both tuners.

My Carryout has two SAT outputs. But the RV has only one SAT input. I'd like to find a way to duplex the two SAT outputs from my Carryout dish into one cable connecting to the one RV input and then use a splitter to split out the two signals to feed to the 622.

I've been told that the splitter that comes standard on the 622 cannot be used this way. So, I'm wondering if anyone has worked this out and can offer info on what kind of combiner/splitter combo I could use to do this.

I thought of using two the standard VIP622 splitters -- one to combine the signals at the dish and another to split the signal at the receiver, but I've read online that this does not work.

I don't want to run two separate cables from the Carryout dish to the trailer and then run one line in through a window or anything like that. I want to keep this neat and clean and just use one cable.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

since I believe you can not change the lnb to a dish pro plus on that dish I don't think there is any way around running 2 wires from the dish

Even if you ran two cables or found a way to use one cable, both tuners must be on the same satellite and same transponder polarity to tune to two different channels.

Last edited:
Yeah, I do understand about the two satellite issue. But see, the 622 records scheduled recordings on the 2nd tuner. So, without the second input we can pause and record live TV, but we can't set any programs for recording on a timer.

Yeah, I do understand about the two satellite issue. But see, the 622 records scheduled recordings on the 2nd tuner. So, without the second input we can pause and record live TV, but we can't set any programs for recording on a timer.

Turn off record plus in the menus and it should use the primary tuner for recording.

Thanks I didn't know that was an option.

It isn't an option. DISH dual tuner receivers MUST have both tuners connected. You might get by for a weekend but for 3 mo. of usage you will have problems. You probably should get a 211 and add the Hard drive to convert it to a DVR.

It isn't an option. DISH dual tuner receivers MUST have both tuners connected. You might get by for a weekend but for 3 mo. of usage you will have problems. You probably should get a 211 and add the Hard drive to convert it to a DVR.
I'm not buying that. Are you saying the 622 will be damaged?

Don't think so.

If you mean when he is using his remote things might happen or not happen as he expects, I'll believe that.

Those kind of issues just need a little thought and maybe help from friends here to figure out. But I don't believe the 622 will break without both tuners connected.

This is just a guess on my part but I'll wager a goodly amount I'm right.

Interesting. Actually, our 3 months is not all at once. It's broken up into 3 separate months over a 5 month period.

D'oh! I got the model wrong. I don't have 622s I have ViP612s. Does that make any difference?? I could have sworn I had 622's but now I remember, I didn't need the dual TV outputs of the 622 so I went with the 612.

D'oh! I got the model wrong. I don't have 622s I have ViP612s. Does that make any difference?? I could have sworn I had 622's but now I remember, I didn't need the dual TV outputs of the 622 so I went with the 612.
You have been warned about flaky performance on DISH DUAL receivers with only 1 tuner connected. Use at your own risk, the 612 is still a dual tuner.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward replacing an old 301 in my wife's exercise room with a 211. Then we can take that on road with us.

My Motorhome has a roof mounted satellite antenna, but it only can see 110 & 119, but I connect one of my 722K's in single mode to it using only one input, works just fine. The only problem is having to get the 722 to clear it's switch memory (takes a long time) and then run check switch connected to the MH satellite. After that all works just fine!
Michael

Do you use it for longer periods of time... a month or more??

Our Wingard Carryout can see 110. 119, & 129, by the way. So we have HD.

No, only for a few days, but I see no reason why connecting it to input 1 and having it on single mode should be a problem. Before using my 722K I used a 508, and the 722K in single mode worked just like the 508. Maybe if you had it in dual mode it would act strange but I saw no problems in single mode. Maybe that is the key to success here.
Edit:
I have done some further research and running a "check switch" with only tuner #1 connected should tell the receiver there is no signal on tuner #2. I always have to run a "check switch" with nothing connected to clear the memory, then run it again with tuner #1 only connected, to get my 722k to connect to my motorhome system. That is probably why I have no trouble.
Michael

Last edited:
I ran a VIP622 with a single input for a while when we first started full-timing. Dish can instruct the receiver not to use the second tuner.

I had a single LNBF automatic roof dish, similar to the Carryout. Once I figured a way to run the second cable from the bedroom to the living room, I connected both coaxes to the 622 and was relatively successful using the DVR. The roof dish I had used voltage switching to change satellite and only one cable to the dish accepted the satellite change voltages. With that understanding, I connected the coax that carried the satellite to the tuner that was the primary for recording. That way DVR recording would control were the dish was pointed. The issue would be only recording from one satellite at a time. Likewise, when the recording was on a different satellite than the TV was watching, a lose of signal wwould be reported when the dish moved.

Just so you are aware those are not splitters on the inputs to your 622s. They are diplexors which destack signals stacked by a switch into the coax. For a Pro Plus dish, there is a switch in the LNBF head.

I would add another coax input. It doesn't have to be exactly were the other satellite input is. Just go through the wall near the receiver.

I would have liked to use a Carryout with my 722 in the RV, after doing some investigating, I settled for a 1000.4 manual set-up to take full advantage of the receiver.

fred