Using new DTV Recievers w/Remotes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bugman33

Original poster
May 25, 2006
Here's my first question in this forum. I just got DTV set up and its working fine with the triple LNB setup and the HD receiver. I'd like to be able to use the Mitsubishi remote from my 1-year old DLP which worked my old Samsung HD receiver fine. But there is no brand on this receiver and when I try to "teach" my Mits remote to "learn" the DTV remote... nothing happens.

Are these new lease receivers some off-brand, has DTV gone into the receiver manufacturing business, or are they made by RCA, Hughes, or someone that is listed in my Mitsubishi DTV selection? DTV doesn't really care because the remote works and its not their responsibility to make the remote backward compatible with Mitsubishi's universal remote.

Writing this, I'm wondering if something as dumb as a remote has firmware upgrades?

Bugman33

What model receiver do you have??
From 1994 - 2003 every manufacturer designed their own DIRECTV receivers from the ground up. But when News Corp took over their vision was a standard user interface and remote control for every box, so customers and their CSR could more easily support the products.

So LG, Philips, Samsung, Thomson and Humax all build the same box to DIRECTV's specifications.
100=RCA/Thompson
200=Samsung
300=Phillips
400=Hughes
500=Humax
600=LG

I'm not at home now, but if you go to Best Buy like I did and buy the HD receiver, it's a DTV box/brand. My Mits remote has all the normal controls for DTV (Guide, menu, etc.) and like I said, it worked with previous name-brand receivers like RCA or Samsung. But we moved and had lapsed service, so it was a fresh start and they said it'd cost me extra to re-activate the old box and I should buy (lease) the newer, more modern box. I can't complain about the receiver or the remote that comes with it, I just don't want to have to go out and spend big bucks on a fancy remote when I have one that is relatively comprehensive and new already.

Part of the problem is Mitsubishi probably didn't anticipate this in their design or software because I can select from all the receivers you mentioned, but none of them work with my new HD DTV receiver.

The receivers are now branded DIRECTV and have different models such as D11/R15/H20 they all use the same remote codes. A D11 basic receiver can be controlled by a H20 remote so in the future only the one set of codes would be needed by Mits for all Directv products. Right now unless Mits comes out with a remote control with new codes you will have to use separate remotes or go to a universal that operates all needed products.

Bugman33,

Just curious, have you tried contacting Mitsubishi and see if they have a working code for the new D* boxes ?

Seeing they are newer than your remote, it would make sence that it would not be listed in your Mits manual.

Also if you look at your D* unit in the model # you will see the last 3 digits and it will tell you who the maker is., it should be a -100 - -600, the code info is floating all over this site, this way when you talk to Mits. you can tell them who made your box.

You never did mention what receiver you had, unless I missed it.

moonman, has your codes listed on an earlier post to your thread.

Jimbo

I too, found that my remote for my Mitsubishi wasn't able to be coded for the new Directv H20/600, so, I programed the remote for the new receiver instead. I found that I like how the remote for this new receiver is much better then programing the Mitsubishi remote. Just have to get used to this remote instead of the other one. Enjoy Ya'll :D

I finally dug up the box and it's a #600 code so I guess its a LG-built box. I'll give it a try later and see if I can get LG parameters to work. If that doesn't work, then I'll call Mits this week and ask them about the problem. Maybe they can warranty the remote if I tell them it doesn't even work and they'll send me a newer one.

If I were to buy a "better" universal remote, is there one for $100 or less that would be programable and upgradeable via a USB to your PC or something like that?

Ideally, the manufacturers like Mits should offer a firmware upgrade via flash rom for their high-end set universal remotes.

You may want to check out Logitech Harmony remotes. I have a Harmony 628 that I bought off zipzoomfly.com for $55 shipped. It is relatively easy to program and should handle the new boxes, although mine is currently controlling a phillips dtivo.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)