Using old system after installing HD service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bamadoc

Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
First of all great forum! Now to my question.

I currently have DTV standard def that I have had since 2005. I am about to upgrade to HD service with them. I was wondering if I can keep my old standard equipment dish and receiver and use it for tailgating at football games. Would I have to have 2 separate account for this to work. Note the service address would be diffferent for the HD system and the old system so I could get locals (Tupelo, MS) at my home and (Birmingham, AL) at the tailgate site. I would like to avoid paying twice for service but I am not sure if the service address can be change for individual receivers.

I cannot just call and have the service address changed on gamedays because my wife does not usually go and watches our locals when at home.

Thanks!

First of all great forum! Now to my question.

I currently have DTV standard def that I have had since 2005. I am about to upgrade to HD service with them. I was wondering if I can keep my old standard equipment dish and receiver and use it for tailgating at football games. Would I have to have 2 separate account for this to work. Note the service address would be diffferent for the HD system and the old system so I could get locals (Tupelo, MS) at my home and (Birmingham, AL) at the tailgate site. I would like to avoid paying twice for service but I am not sure if the service address can be change for individual receivers.

I cannot just call and have the service address changed on gamedays because my wife does not usually go and watches our locals when at home.

Thanks!
Sure you can keep your SD DTV receiver and dish. My old 2LNB dish now resides in my garage, while my old SD DVR (a DirecTivo unit) is now in the master bedroom hooked up to the SD TV we have up there. You could just hook up your old SD receiver at home (both coax and phone) and enable it or clone it or whatever DTV calls this now. Then on game take your 2LNB dish and receiver (and a SD TV) for tailgating, but your only problem will be that you won't have the Birmingham locals. But you will have all the national feeds (ESPN, ESPN2, Big Ten Network, and ESPN Gameplan if you have it at home) on your tailgating dish.

To get the Birmingham locals, you would have to have a Birmingham address, and you will be charged for two different accounts. The only way around that is if you know someone in the Birmingham area, who might let you clone their service. Not that I would condone a means that some here might see as possibly fraudulent, but then you would have DTV tailgate service with the desired locals.

Why does DTV limit us to one local package anyway? I live in the DC area and would love to get the Baltimore locals via dish. I would pay them another 4 or 5 bucks a month for that service.

It is not D* that limits locals they like money too. D* has to obey the laws. Look what happened to DISH when they didn't obey restrictions to selling locals only within the DMA.

It is not D* that limits locals they like money too. D* has to obey the laws. Look what happened to DISH when they didn't obey restrictions to selling locals only within the DMA.
Ahh so the feds keep D* from providing a service that I, and probably quite a few others, would be willing to pay D* for, but because of some stupid law or FCC reg. At least I can get them through my antenna. Yes I still have one, and yes I get a very good HD signal strength from the Baltimore locals. Both on my HDTV and thru my HR20. I have one with the OTA coax port on the back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)